Question Help me pick out my 4k tv....restrictions apply

TJLamb0518

Novice Member
Reaction score
Well, the saga of my 4k TV search continues. Given the cumbersome entertainment center I'm not allowed to even THINK about getting rid of, I'm confined to a 43" max. The woot deal of the day on Saturday was the Q60r from samsung which had me VERY excited as this was the TV I was looking at before the whole pandemic/lockdown thing. So, I went and measured the space one last time since it had been a while before clicking the button and ....the tv is a quarter of an inch too big with the stand (no, wall mounting is also not an option)

So, I'm back to trying to find a good 4k 43" that is no more than 24 1/2" high with the stand. This really limits my choices to so far TCL, an LG or ....Hisense. The good thing about the TCL is that I don't have to buy a new Roku (since they informed me in April they were no longer supporting my older Roku) but all the ones I saw in Best Buy seemed a little washed out (I'm not sure if that's the TV or Best Buy not bothering to calibrate them).

Really sad OLED/QLED is no longer an option (by a QUARTER INCH!!), but will have to just soldier on.....any advice within the parameters I have would be greatly appreciated.

Get a custom central stand to go with the Q60R? You can buy ones that fit to the rear wall mounting VESA spaced holes.

In the USA the Q60R is probably the best option, but 43" models from TCL aren't far behind. Even the cheaper 43" Samsung's aren't that far behind either.

This is all because smaller TVs are all using budget-oriented specs, none have 120hz panels and non have good HDR capability. The Q60R at 55" and over has a 120hz panel for example.

EDIT* for clarification on display tech:
QLED is not a new display technology. The Q60R is still just an LCD TV. Its just a marketing term for how the TV displays colours.
OLED is a new display technology, but not available at smaller sizes.

Get a custom central stand to go with the Q60R? You can buy ones that fit to the rear wall mounting VESA spaced holes.

In the USA the Q60R is probably the best option, but 43" models from TCL aren't far behind. Even the cheaper 43" Samsung's aren't that far behind either.

This is all because smaller TVs are all using budget-oriented specs, none have 120hz panels and non have good HDR capability. The Q60R at 55" and over has a 120hz panel for example.

EDIT* for clarification on display tech:
QLED is not a new display technology. The Q60R is still just an LCD TV. Its just a marketing term for how the TV displays colours.
OLED is a new display technology, but not available at smaller sizes.
I looked at those but cannot be sure how low they will allow the screen to go.

I looked at those but cannot be sure how low they will allow the screen to go.
I guess it depends on the stand. This one looks good since it can be lowered as low as 12inches from centre of TV to the bottom. Since the height of the 43Q60R is 22 inches you'd have about two inches spare at its lowest.
Amazon product ASIN B077MJZ6ZG
EDIT* scratch that. The mounting holes are higher up behind the TV, so you are probably looking at at even needing the stand on a 'higher' setting. No problem at all.
1594658644310.png

But in my opinion. I wouldn't buy the Q60R. Its too expensive for a TV that really isn't that much better than cheaper models. I'm more than happy with my TCL 5 series :)

But in my opinion. I wouldn't buy the Q60R. Its too expensive for a TV that really isn't that much better than cheaper models. I'm more than happy with my TCL 5 series :)

WAIT, you OWN the series 5??? Okay, answer me this....when I go to Best Buy, the TCLs look washed out. Now, some may think that's the TV, but I suspect Best Buy may not be bothering to calibrate them like they do the higher end brands. Is there the way on the TCL to get the picture to really pop? I'd love to be able to get a decent 4k with a good picture AND not have to buy a newer 4k Roku if I'm right.

Washed out is certainly not a word I'd use to describe my own TV (43R517 - 2018 model). Its contrast ratio and black levels are on a par with the Q60R and it costs a lot less...as you also say, Roku built in is a bonus.

I can't speak too much for your impressions in a store but as you say its really hard to judge a TV in a shop environment for various reasons...demo material, shop floor viewing conditions being different to at home and set up of the TVs being wrong.

The only other thing I can think which would make the TCL washed out is if they are using HDR material. There's not a single 43" model that can really be considered good enough to use HDR..and HDR will look washed out on poor on every one of them. Don't buy a 43" model with the view to use the TV with HDR.

EDIT* viewing angles are also poor on TVs using VA panels such as TCL/Samsung models, so maybe that is why they look washed out? Again, don't buy either of these TVs unless you view direct in front.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom