1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP ME PEOPLE! My 36ZD26 doesn't do widescreen NTSC

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by YellowCows, Dec 22, 2002.

1. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there,

I started this thread because I didn't wanna get swamped in the unbelievably long 36zd26 thread.

My problem is this - I noticed that the TV switches widescreen modes just fine from scart (due to pin signal) and from the component/composite/S-video connections. But in the case of the latter three inputs, only when the source is PAL, and not NTSC.

In other words, when I've got my DVD player hooked through component (or S-video), and the TV is in 4:3, the TV switches to WIDE automatically with a PAL widescreen movie, and back, as it should. With a R1 (NTSC) disc, however, it stays in 4:3! Is there something wrong with my telly? If so, does anybody know how to fix it? Playing with the Auto format option in the menu doesn't help, neither does switching the telly off and on again.

Naturally, the TV locks into WIDE with a progressive component signal, so the point is moot in that case.

If anybody is able to test this out, please do, and let me know. Remember, SCART connections are fine, because the switching signal is carried in a separate pin. The problem is only on the discrete plugs (YUV, S-VIDEO, Composite) and only on NTSC widscreen sources.

The only explanation I could come up with is (maybe) it has something to do with the widescreen signal embedded in line 23? But that still doesn't explain it - if it works with PAL, it should work with NTSC, shouldn't it?:confused:

HELP ME..PLEASE!

Moory

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You've answered your own question. The WSS switching flag is on line 23 on PAL, but another line (21 IIRC) on NTSC. And your TV won't be seeing it, unfortunately. PAL TVs rarely look anywhere else than line 23.

3. YellowCows

YellowCows
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks v.v. much Nigel (or is it Ed?:) ).

I had a Sony multi-system widescreen telly before (Asian model), and that switched modes instantly, regardless of signal format (PAL/NTSC) on all the inputs.

I was expecting the Toshiba to do the same, and was puzzled why it didn't.

Many Thanks again for the clarification.

Moory