Help me!!! OVER bright image

craigizmo2k2

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Bagged a Sanyo PLC-XP18E HD projector off ebay for 225 quid.

The seller mentioned some filters were removed due to scorching internally to the projector.

The result is this image:

projector.jpg

I've rang around a few places and explained the problem and that the brightness/contrast settings are right down, and one guy said it sounds like its the polarisers that have been taken out, and once replaced will fix the problem.

Another issue becuase of this is, even though the projector is in 16:9 mode, you can still see light being projected where there should be no image at all.

Anyone able to shed any light on this?? The image is currently so bright that on dark scenes in movies you can not see ANY detail.

I'm prepared to spend quite a bit on this to get it repaired as it is a really well specced projector and I got it cheaply.

Any help appreciated!

The specs for this model do not make ideal Home Cinema reading to be honest. It has a brightness specified at 2000 ansi lumens and a contrast ratio of just 700:1. It is a native 4.3 ratio instead of the prefered 16.9 ratio for movies, it is not actually a HD resolution either, it is actually 1024x768 instead of HD's minimum resolution of 1280x720. To display a 16.9 widescreen image, it will not utilise all those pixels either as you will waste some with the black bars you'll have top and bottom. Plus it is out of production so parts would be either impossible to find or very expensive if you could. Basically, this is not a Home Cinema projector, rather a data grade projector for computer presentations etc.
A Home Cinema PJ should be at least the other way round with 2000:1 contrast ratio and 700 optimised lumens. This would be a minimum spec for a decent HC projector and most nowadays are way above 2000:1 CR.
What I am getting at is that even if your unit was working perfectly, the image produced would still not be up to the mark. It would be bright, with greys instead of blacks and lack any kind of 'snap'.
You would probably have to spend hundreds to get it back to how it should be and even then, it would not look anywhere near as good as a secondhand Panasonic AE700 for £500!!
I'd cut your losses and not spend any more money on this projector. Rather save up and buy something made specifically for movies and High Definition.
I'm sure you'd find someone on eBay who will take it off your hands for close to what you paid for it!

Find out how much the repairs will be because you may be able to pick up a more suitable home cinema pj for a similar cost.

The pj is an xga 4:3 model, and it looks like the screen is not 4:3, which is one reason why you are getting so much overspill. The reason for the pointed corner on the right hand side is because the pj is too the left of center of the screen, and you have twisted it to the right to line it up. If you move the pj to the left a little, things will square up.

You will also find that it wil be too bright for the screen size you have - you will need a much bigger screen, or add some Neutral Density filters will dim it down to a more suitable level (an ND2, 4 or 8 for example).

Gary

The screen is a 4:3 but all my gear outputs at 16:9.

I watched finding Nemo on it earlier and it did look stunning even though it was overly bright.

I'm gonna try the polarisers out as it must deaden it a bit, if it isnt upto my job I will then sell it, but I won't be able to get another projector with this sort of spec this cheaply :p mainly want HD resolutions etc.

Will let you know how it goes.

Gary, why would it be too bright for my screen BTW?? Am new to the world of projectors so just wanna gather some info together :D

Just emailed the seller:

Mate,

I've just started using this now it's darker...

Are you sure this can be classed as good working order??

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angelamclellan/projector.jpg - you can't see any detail in dark scenes or faces and the brightness / contrast settings have been turned right down, its the same on XGA, HD and S-video sources...

I don't see how this is good working order as I can't actually use it like this.

Any help appreciated,

Craig

Hmm... I'm honestly so disappointed with my purchase now, I just wanna get rid of it :(

I suspect like a lot of projectors on ebay it's been sold as 'HD' when it clearly isn't, as has already been said it's not worth spending a lot of money to get it fixed.

Sorry.

craigizmo2k2 said:
It wasn't sold as HD - the manufacturer spec sheet said it was.

Am contacting paypal aswell to help push things on aswell..
It is HD Compatible but not HD Ready. What this means is it will accept a HD signal but will scale that image down to its native resolution which basically means it takes a HD signal and converts it to a SD (Standard Definition) resolution which is not really what you want I'm sure.
Tell the guy that you have been quoted some ridiculous amount to repair it as it is out of production now and that in its current condition is not watchable. I do not know how it was described in the listing, but unless it said that in its current condition it is not usuable and will need repairing, then you have a very good case to get your money back.
If the guy has decent feedback, the threat of negative feedback usually does the trick!

good luck!

I havent yet left feedback for him :)

I opened a dispute in paypal saying that removing the filters made no difference and that he said it was in good working order. This is NOT the case thoguh as I bought this projector on the strength of my personal experiences with it at my college and it was very good I have to say (havent seen anything better than it anyway.)

So hopefully i'll get a refund.

I do feel kinda silly now though :(

As Gary says - not HD, but an XGA projector should look way better than your photo implies. You'd be hard pushed to sit through a PowerPoint presentaion on it as it stands. Even though you got it cheap, I do not believe it is of 'merchantable quality' so you should push for a refund. PayPal are fairly good with that - as long as the guy is still trading.

He just replied to my email saying that he tested it by projecting a windows pc onto a patterned wallpapered wall and says that I probably do need the filters for it.

I stated that he never said in the original auction that the unit was in repair and that I feel a refund is in order.

Wish me luck! :(

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Great news on the refund. I just read the listing - loved his comment (among the other bullsh!t):
These filters have been removed and the quality of the projected image remains the same
If, as has been suspected, the polariser(s) were removed, it has to affect the image quality! He's banged to rights there. :D

craigizmo2k2 said:
Gary, why would it be too bright for my screen BTW?? Am new to the world of projectors so just wanna gather some info together :D

There are certain standards for home theater, and one of them is reflectance from the screen (think of the image brightness at your local cinema). Having a very bright image in a dark room will mean that the black level will be grey, and any image noise in the source (such as mpg artefacts) will be highlighted, especially in dark areas, and it can be quite distracting. A brighter image is more useful if you want to watch with the lights on, but that too will impact on the black level and how visible shadow detail will be.

This hobby can be as simple as turn it on and watch a movie, or learn more about it and find out how you can improve the image you have. It can be quite rewarding and a lot of fun which ever way you decide to go. :)

Gary

Unfortunately the Z1, although aimed at the Home Cinema market when it was first released back in 2002, was a low(ish) resolution (964x544), low contrast (800:1) projector by today's standards and is HD compatible through component but lacks a digital input such as DVI or HDMI which may become mandatory for future HD formats.
The Sanyo Z2 was the earliest HD resolution PJ in the 'Z' range and in the Panasonic 'AE' range, the AE500 is the earliest model. There is a Sanyo Z2 on ebay which needs a lamp, but it is currently on just £6.50 with no reserve!! A new lamp probably costs between £250-£300 although this is an educated guess and maybe cheaper so if you could pick this up for £150-£200 it may be worth it. See: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sanyo-PLV-Z2-...ryZ22610QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
There is also a Panasonic AE500 on there with a 'Buy Now' price of £599. See: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Panasonic-LCD...ryZ22610QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you really want a HD resolution projector and your main use will be movies and possibly gaming then you should look for these specs as a minimum:

Resolution - 1280x720
Aspect Ratio - Native 16.9 (not a 4.3 with a 16.9 mode)
Contrast ratio - 1000:1 (as a very minimum)
Brightness - 700 ansi lumens and upwards (but avoid anything too bright)
Inputs - Component (essential) | DVI/HDMI - (would be nice)

You are really confined to LCD if your spending limit is around £500. If you can stretch to £1000 then DLP comes into the equation. DLP usually offers better blacks and smoother, less pixelated images but before buying a DLP, try and always demo one first because not everyone likes them and they have their own unique quirks.

the best thing to do, is when you spot one you may be interested in, go to this web site and you can check all the specs of any particular model. I find this site very usefull indeed. See: http://www.projectorcentral.com/search.cfm

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thanks mate, I don't really NEED HD if i'm that honest, I just want the impact of a big picture, and I take it the Z1 can still perform even if it isn't HD compliant??

In case you're interested, I might soon be selling my Sony VPL-VW10HT, looking for something between £400-£500. It has a nearly new lamp (+/- 150 hours of which 145 in eco mode). Original boxing and all, roof mount, HD ready (1366x768) and native 16:9. Costly shipping though, I'm afraid, as I'm located in Sweden.

There's Infocus Screenplay 5000's on ebay for £550 with a one year warranty last time I looked. This is a propper HD projector.

Jammyb said:
There's Infocus Screenplay 5000's on ebay for £550 with a one year warranty last time I looked. This is a propper HD projector.

I think infocus are more honest with there projector metrics and seem to quote calibrated contrast ratios.

I'm thinking that in actual performance, It would probably be equivalent to something like a TX100 / Z3.

Right i've secured a Z1 on here for 250 quids, and I will use that to keep me going whilst I save for a HD projector.

Even though it didnt work properly, I cant live without a big screen now i've seen one in my room!

Thanks for your help guys, will keep this bookmarked for when I come to get a HD one.

Jammyb said:

I have the sp5000 and its a cracker especialy for £550.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom