help me out

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by whitewolf, Mar 16, 2005.

1. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i just received my av8 arcam processor and p1 mono blocks . telll me this . i heard that keeping a p1 on another can block once ventilation so what i wanna ask is that can i keep a p1 mono block amp on a av8 processor. does the pro also generate heat. so can i keep a p1 on a av8 or not?

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whitewolf
    I wouldn't stand anything on top of either the AV8 or the P1. Keep all the ventilation slots clear, teh AV8 does get warm and the chances are if you block the ventilation slots you could damage some expensive equipment

HTh
    John

3. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whilst the advice given is good, the monoblocks will kick out a lot more heat than a processor (I think) and I would (personally) much more inclined to do it the way you suggested than to put the processor on top of the blocks. That siad, if you can possibly avoid it. keep them apart - components tend not to be that friendly - ;)

4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Agreed.

Best to keep them apart but if absolutely necessary you could put the AV8 beneath a P1. The worst that will happen is the auto-shutdown circuit should kick in, if this happens then you'll know that you have to seperate the units further to aid ventilation.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,569
    whitewolf

Purchase a decent rack with enough 'slots' for the complete system your contemplating - don't pile the kit one piece on top of another; these things all require adequate ventilation.

Ask your dealer to look into Middle Atlantic racking - the slide in/out/rotate units are brilliant if you have lots of kit and need to get to the rear of it; see http://www.middleatlantic.com/

Ref your other posts - Yes a lot of kit does benefit from a 'running in' period and Yes many amplifiers sound best when 'warmed up'; some folk never turn kit off. Though this is 01. Inefficient as far as electricity usage goes and 02. Not advice your local Fire officer will agree with.

I don't have a printable answer to your 'I have two speakers and it doesn't sound like 5:1' question :) - basically it wont!

Also you need to have some 'reference' material that you or your dealer knows well before you start to make quick judgement calls - its madness to throw a NEW disc into your player and say the 'system' doesn't sound good. Has your dealer been involved in setting up the system?

Best regards

Joe

6. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello there all of you.

thanks to you guys that today i got such a good system and saved a lot of bucks by not buying kef 207.

i have finally recevied my p1 monos and av8 and kef 205 and marantz 9500 . my vendor was involved and did set up the system at my place. it was pretty simple.

i got this component cable for like 100 pounds from dvd to Tv . its from QED signature series. moreover i got a monster cable optical which is for 90 pounds which goes from dvd to processor its a interconnect i guess. so it goes from dvd optical to av8 optical . then from processor i got this Qed silver spiral cable two of them whiich goes from av8 to both monoblocks its for 70 pounds. and finally i got this qed 20 cable for the av8 to tv display i guess.

i hope the cables are worthy ones.

as for the monoblocks to speakers he gave me a monster cable a pink one which goes to the speakers and its for 15 pounds for one Feet. i got like 20 feet of that. ten for both speakers.

we enabled the compoonet from the tv setup and did browse the dvd setup kept it wide screen and componenet enabled from there too. as for the processor we also browsed that . basically kept a lot to default changed some . i will play on 2 channel dolby digital it says on the OSD of av8 but yes there is a one prob. my dvd marantz can only run region 2 and i have region 1 dvds. so i cant watch anything . i just had one dvd speed region 2 which worked so basically i have not eeven checked the sound properly myself too since this speed is not even DTS. and no good effects.

so i am looking on the net cant find any hack to change dvd to region 1 . as for my vendor he will speeak with marantz tomorrow on monday and will ask them how to change i tto region 1.

as for the space i have kept all the components seperate . but now my rack is full . will do some modifications to which will allow me to keep two more components i guess that would be enough.

apart from it i also wanted to ask that now as i will build a 5.1 in the future so as said before that the front array should be similar so i will buy a kef center and another p1 as for the rear guide me i will buy kef for the rear too but can i buy a p35 multi channel amplifier to drive the rear both or do i need to buy 2 sepreates p1's there too ?

please shed light on all the things u see above. i would appreciate it.

7. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    To be honest your front three are the most important, It would be nice to have monoblocs all round if we could all afford and accomodate it :devil: I have spent the most on amplification for my stereo speakers, although I would like a third monobloc to drive the centre :D Rear speakers even in the most demanding surround mix do far less work than your front three, so I would say that using a P35 would be fine :thumbsup: Tonal and impedence matching is far more important than matched maximum power output :smashin: As for your cable choices, well Im not into buying expensive branded cable. I prefer to buy good solid well made stuff with top measured technical performance. I use a lot of cables made by Mark Grant who sells top quality Belden and Canare based products here on this forum. A lot of the branded makes use the same core components, just with a pretty coloured jacket ;) Anyway the cables subject is a total can of worms so I wont go on about it any more :D

8. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks a lot mates.

"Tonal and impedence matching is far more important than matched maximum power output"

what does this line means thunder . i guess with tonal u mean that i should use all kef and with impedence whats that ?

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It means that you shouldn't mix speakers with different impedance ratings although I am not sure how true that is as M&K make some speakers rated at 8ohms whilst most of their range is 4ohm and a few people have one type at the front with the other at the rear.

10. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Mixing impedence isn't a problem, just make sure that the amplifier can power the speakers with the lowest impedence. It's no problem at all in your case Whitewolf.

11. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    glad to hear that. so lets say i buy a Arcam P35 which is a multi channel amp so it will power the rear surrounds with 100 watt per channel and these Kef surround rears are 200watts perchannel. so will this P35 be enough for them.

12. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry Ian, I didnt make my self clear :) It was with regard to the amplification. Although Im a fine one to talk :D If your amplification is of the same make it will usually have the same input sensitivity making it much easier to mix and match :smashin: This is especially important if you want to have a go at biamping :)

13. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yesterday my system worked finally. all wiring and stuff done. i will soon post a pic on this page of my rack and stuff. tell me this. that i was watching THE RING lastly night . so on just 2 speaker . 2 channel DTS digital would be the best config to run it on right ?