Help me out please...replacing RU940

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by infinite_loop, Jan 16, 2008.

1. infinite_loop

infinite_loop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey,

I'm needing to get something "bigger" than my RU940...I like to have macros on the front screen to turn everything on or off, and choose whether we watch an LCD or a projector. AV amp, PS3, Mac Mini and Sky HD need to be controlled.

Now, I did try a Harmony 555 but I found it pretty bad. The software couldn't seem to find the right codes to control my projector (Optoma HD72) and it was hopeless at keeping track of what was on and what wasn't. I sold it pretty quickly.

Obviously, all roads point to the 1000, but i'm very wary - the setup software is likely to be the same isn't it? I found it very unintuitive and a pain to keep having to go from the beginning when one component didn't work.

I use a mac, if that makes a difference, and all but the LCD and Proj are in a cupboard.

Would be really pleased if any of you could offer some advice!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Run away! he mentioned the H 1000! Stick with Philips. The 1000 is just not going to do what you need, nor is any Harmony IMHO, they are great for simple sigle display installs, but you'd be asking a lot of one here. You could buy a RU990 pretty cheap now, not much more than the 1000 harmony, and import all your existing IR, use your existing RF base, though the newer one has longer range.

3. stoobie

stoobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    The new Pronto remotes cannot be programmed on Macs, unless you use something like bootcamp and have an intel based Mac that you can install windows on.

Stoobie