Help me on a cheap HDTV!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by iknownothing, Aug 9, 2005.

1. iknownothing

iknownothing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know nothing about HDTV so help me out! I want a cheap HDTV (mainly for Xbox360) yet cannot spend more than £500. I found the Samsung 730MW yet it doesn't say what it supports HDTV wise (720p etc.). So... can anyone help me!

2. James B

James B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it's a monitor with a tuner, rather than specifically a TV, but it supports 1280x768, so should be ok for Xbox360. It is not 'HD Ready' though as it does not support HDCP, so you wouldn't be able to use HD-DVD, Blu Ray or potentially some of Sky HD (they've said that component will be ok for their services, at least to begin with).

You'd have to check that it accepts 720p through the component inputs, or that Xbox360 will output 1280x768 through it's VGA adapter, or that the monitor will accept 1280x720 through VGA and that the Xbox360 will output that.

I think at the moment, there's not enough information about the Xbox360 to determine whether this monitor will work with it.

Personally, I'd try to find something with the 'HD Ready' logo though.

James.

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    i think aldi where doing a 26"lcd near that price cant remember its in this forum somewhere have a search :smashin:

4. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,048
    also nearer to the time im sure we will see a lot more cheaper versions of HD screens i wouldnt worry about it to much just be a little patient :thumbsup:

5. jon2099

jon2099

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Is that true though? I've downloaded the manual for it and seen it in the flesh and the port is definitely labelled "DVI-HDCP". I haven't heard of anyone testing it with a HDCP source though.