1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"help me obi wan your my only hope"

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by ranger1873, Nov 15, 2004.

1. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scince he lived a long time ago in a galaxy far far away I am turning to you!

you lot are the all knowing oricle so please help on updating my home cinema/music set up.
    At present I am using the following,
    Pioneer Dv545 DVD player with QED P4015 scart and IXOS 105 interconnector to a Marantz SR4200 amp.
    My speakers are a bit of a missmatch with B+W DM601S3 front's, KEF 80c centre and MISSION 73's brining up the rear all with QED silver annaversary cable.
    The sub is an Eltex with an IXOS xhw406 cable.(don't all insult me at once)
    The problem is i am just not happy with the music sound i am getting it's a bit flat(my roon is 14'X 14').
    I know that i will not get a great sound because of the DVDplayer and a/v amp but there must be something i can do....
    My budget is now £1000 but what do i upgrade for the biggest impact (the DVD or AMP)
    if your system goes a little over this it won,t be too much of a problem i will just buy the wife some of the kit for her christmas..i'm too kind to her :laugh:

thanks a lot :thumbsup:

2. John Watts

John Watts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    ranger,
    Phew a real menagerie of products there.
    Anyway, if i can offer my humble opinion and i hope it helps,
    All your speakers are reasonably good but i really would try to get a set that tonally match. Mission,KEF and B&W are all good makers of loudspeakers but you should look at getting a full set of whichever brand you choose to stand by.
    Always bear in mind that you can buy/sell what you Do/don't want or trade for something else here on the forums.
    After that i would look at the amp next but thats your call. Personally i dont think changing the DVD player will make a massive difference unless you want to spend a lot of dosh on one. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a decent CD player and a decent DVD player for their own strenghts.

Well i hope this helps and good luck.
    John.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    If it were me I think I'd look to add an external Dac to the DVD player, Upgrade the Processor (If budget allowed add a power amp for music) and get the front 3 speakers the same.
    Second hand you may be able to do all this.

4. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks folks, :smashin:
    i now have a starting point, anyone want to buy a kef 80c centre speaker ;)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I would reconmend (within the £1000) budget you buy a B&W centre 602's for fronts moving 601 to rear and adding astereo amp to run front pair Marantz PM7200??? Or Perhaps (Assuming the 4200 has preouts)

6. Sniper

Sniper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    when you say "i am just not happy with the music sound"... is that multichannel music? or just plain stereo (maybe with the sub included)??

i'm asking this since - (even though i do agree with all that was said with matching speakers and what have you!) - it won't matter what rears & center you have in stereo!!

7. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the prob is stereo music, no oomph! i will see if i have a preouts also

8. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If stereo music is unsatisfying then your first point of call should be a seperate stereo amp to power the front stereo speakers. This will improve the sound of your dvd/surround setup too. Preouts from the Marantz will feed your stereo amp for multichannel duties (I do this myself). Many decent stereo amps are available (up to £500 is what I would spend on a stereo amp). Something like a Marantz 7200, cyrus 6, Arcam A85, Nad, Rotel etc. would be ideal. This would work best in conjunction with a better CD source. As someone said you could get another stereo DAC fed from your DVD. You could also sell your DVD and buy a much better one, but I feel you would have to spend around £1000 to achieve a markedly better CD replay. My advice then, would be to buy a separate CD player. I've seen on these forums a Marantz 63KI for around £150 which would be a huge improvement and at least all your rack equipment would match :D (well, sort of). Don't worry too much about that centre speaker just yet and certainly don't fret too much about the different make of rear speakers, however if you were determined to spend that £1000 I'd go with the above and get a B+W 601 centre! (£300?)

ATB, Liam.

9. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice liam .....just one question.
    how the hell do i connect all this together.LOL.
    i'm lost with the -pre out -thing going to and from stereo and 5.1 ...
    I now have a CD player and am looking at a nice wee rotel 930 much cheapness......

10. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    OK, well your front 2 speakers are connected to your stereo amp as is your cd player as you would expect. DVD connected to AV amp, so far so good. Now a set of phono leads to connect the FRONT LEFT + RIGHT PRE OUT from the AV amp then goes to the AV/DVD/AUX input on your stereo amp. To listen to DVD set stereo amp to AV/DVD/AUX and volume to 12 O Clock (seems high but this will work). Adjust volumes on AV amp using test signal as previously done on setup. Now always turn volume to same position on stereo amp (12) and adjust main volume using volume control on AV amp when listening to AV/DVD. Remember to turn down before switching stereo amp back to CD!

Liam.

11. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got it.... a/v amp to stereo amp is for front speakers only, and the a/v amp runs the rest of the sound show :clap:
    Will using a stereo amp also improve the A/v sound (i think it must)...
    Will an attenuator work with this system? (depending on the DVD output!). :eek: *I only want the moon and the stars* :rotfl:

12. liamjf

liamjf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hey, yes new stereo amp will improve sound from AV as well as a lot of the sound will come through it. Don't think you will need an attenuator though.
    ATB, Liam.

13. joker_zero

joker_zero
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I use a similar Marantz (SR5200) with an Arcam Alpha 9 integrated and an Alpha 9p bi-amping the front pair, plus another 9p driving the centre.

All the Marntz has to cope with is the rears.

A top tip on this the Alpha 9 integrated has a button you can hit to allow the receiver to act as a pre-amp - i.e. drive volume level and this means I don't need to muck about with setting volume levels on more than one amp for movies.

Now you wont need this if you just add a power amp, but if you do take this route then you can run a digital line from the DVD player to the receiver for surround and a good old fashioned analogue pair to the new amp.
    I do this and get real hi-fi quality stereo that bypasses the processor altogether - best of both worlds. Hit one button and I can hear it through the processor - the difference is striking to say the least.

14. tecman

tecman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect the DVD player using a stereo interconnect to the CD input on the reciever then just select the CD input in the amp when listening to music this will improve the musicality of the sytem no end. You will now be using the DAC inside the player rather than the one in the amp.

15. ranger1873

ranger1873

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot chaps :thumbsup:

I ended up with a couple of mono power amps off e-bay (brand new,much cheepness :rotfl: )
    now V-happy with the sound.........

Now if i can just talk the wife into a plasma....... :hiya: TTFN