Help Me: OB1

Layer

Ex Member
Reaction score
I have PMC OB1s which I am currently using in 2 channel, but I am in the process of going multi-channel.
I dont think that the OB1s have enough firepower to handle the big movies, so I have bought a DD18.

I am now having real trouble integrating the bass crossovers in 2 channel.

Will a good AV pre/amp fix my problem?

What recommendations?

What amp are you using at the moment ?

Try the Linn Kisto and the biggest mult channel Chakra power amp they do, superb!!!!

The DD18 is one hell of a battlestation to say the least.

Layer said:
I have PMC OB1s which I am currently using in 2 channel, but I am in the process of going multi-channel.
I dont think that the OB1s have enough firepower to handle the big movies, so I have bought a DD18.

I am now having real trouble integrating the bass crossovers in 2 channel.

Will a good AV pre/amp fix my problem?

What recommendations?
Takes a good amp to do the OB1's justice. Be prepared to shell out a few thousand. Off the top of my head Big five channel Chord or High End Linn would certainly be up to the job. Bryston would obviously sound good with PMC. Krell and Lexicon should also be on the list. From Experience and with the right amps the OB1's will shake most rooms quite nicely.
If it all fails miserably, I will shortly be selling my MB2's if you felt the OB1's lacked the necessary grunt?

I am currently using a Naim 112/150 combo for amplification.
I need more power though.

Kistos are a bit over priced dont you think?

What is this new N Vi like?

NVi is superb, though may lack the power, though I haven't tried it with OB1s (it may surprise). You can take pre outs to a Naim NAP200, that should do it. What size is your room and also due to recent experience, what is its shape?

Dom996 said:
NVi is superb, though may lack the power, though I haven't tried it with OB1s (it may surprise). You can take pre outs to a Naim NAP200, that should do it. What size is your room and also due to recent experience, what is its shape?

I have a perfectly circular room.

This gives me great speaker positioning options.

Can Naim do AV?

Don't worry, Senator P has a weird way of expressing himself. They are a passive design with 3 sets of binding posts. Either tri wire/tri amp or use the triwire links amongst other options.

Alternatives for an easier load would be Linn Ninkas. Very open and detailed with big tight bass as I understand it.

Well circular means little in the way of standing waves (look at curved speaker cabinets like the B&W 800 series). However I suspect a whole set of unforseen problems could unfold.

Knightshade said:
Takes a good amp to do the OB1's justice. Be prepared to shell out a few thousand. Off the top of my head Big five channel Chord or High End Linn would certainly be up to the job. Bryston would obviously sound good with PMC. Krell and Lexicon should also be on the list. From Experience and with the right amps the OB1's will shake most rooms quite nicely.
If it all fails miserably, I will shortly be selling my MB2's if you felt the OB1's lacked the necessary grunt?

Are you talking the new Chakra stuff, or Klimax?

Ive heard that the Chord is very slow.

Dom996 said:
Well circular means little in the way of standing waves (look at curved speaker cabinets like the B&W 800 series). However I suspect a whole set of unforseen problems could unfold.

Thats the theory behind Anthony Gallows isnt it?

Keeping the casing spherical allows all the force to be expelled from the front.

Dom996 said:
Don't worry, Senator P has a weird way of expressing himself. They are a passive design with 3 sets of binding posts. Either tri wire/tri amp or use the triwire links amongst other options.

Alternatives for an easier load would be Linn Ninkas. Very open and detailed with big tight bass as I understand it.

I couldnt go for a speaker that sounds like something I would buy for my mistress!

Ive heard that the Chord is very slow.[/QUOTE]

The only thing that is slow is the Linn sound ...

PRAT is the only way to go...Naim Rocks

Layer said:
Thats the theory behind Anthony Gallows isnt it?

Keeping the casing spherical allows all the force to be expelled from the front.

The thing with the Gallos is that something will inevitably get it. Usually a big power amp.

I wouldn't complain too much. A friend of mine has a Linn Classik with Linn Katans and that sounds pretty lame compared to your setup.

Kishoo said:

PRAT is the only way to go...Naim Rocks[/QUOTE]

Whats the AV9 like?

Have you tried the new Chord Indigos?

Dom996 said:
The thing with the Gallos is that something will inevitably get it. Usually a big power amp.

I wouldn't complain too much. A friend of mine has a Linn Classik with Linn Katans and that sounds pretty lame compared to your setup.

You think thats lame, I know a guy who actually paid money for the Naim 5i combo, complemented that that with Rega R5's, and then uses Chord Sig speaker cable?

Is he nuts or what?

That stuff is £150 a meter!!

'flicks light switch on and off':mad:

gentlemen please you all seem to have some personal issues the really should be sorted out in a pub car park(or bedroom) not in a respectable AV forum.

And the idea of taking out a planet with a dd18 is stupid. Sound weapons do not have enough directionality to cause catastrophic planetary disintergration....not that I've tried :rolleyes: .....well where do you think A.Gallo got their designs from anyway. They just scaled it down a bit and painted it in funky colours. But have you noticed that when you play music through them it hurts?????? All makes sense now huh?

I think you'll find that the guy your referring to paid sweet f/a for all of it.

And, Senator P. Check your insane ticket at the door. :rotfl:

Kishoo said:

PRAT is the only way to go...Naim Rocks
IYHO of course, personal opinion is if you like Naim you won't like Linn. I like the blood inside my head not trickling from my ears.....:devil:
I've never liked the Chord amps, quite clinical, but they do have the power and flexibility to drive an 87DB speaker very well. As does Linn. Densen will also do the job nicely (only the 350 monoblocks though) They will give you a nice sound and if you like modern music will certainly get your foot tapping.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom