Help me make this impossible decision

lettuce

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, have £450 voucher to spend at Comet, and am going to get a new Widescreen TV, and just really need someone to advise me on getting the right set, and or any problems that people know of regarding the sets below. The main use the TV will be getting is for playing games and DVDs on. So want a really good picture, was looking at getting a TV with progressive scan, but comet dont seem to have any in my price range that support this feature, the only TVs i found in this range where the JVC AV28X4S & HV28P37 but comet dont have these sets!. I guess the next best feature would be 100hz, would i notice this feature from a standard 50hz TV on games etc? Any other features i should look out for to get a better picture? Would be nice to have a TV that has good image enhancement options, and options you can change to improve/change the picture. Also must be able to Display a NTSC 3.58 signal.The models that are available to me are:

SAMSUNG WS28M064VW
SAMSUNG WS28A116DSXXEU
PANASONIC TX28PM1
PANASONIC TX28PM11C
PANASONIC TX28DTX1C
JVC AV28X47
JVC AV28X47
PHILIPS 28DW6559
PHILIPS 28PW6518
PHILIPS 28PW8719
PHILIPS 32PW6518
TOSHIBA 28Z47B
TOSHIBA 32Z47B
SONY KV28HX15
SONY KD28DL11

Sorry about the long list, just like to narrow it down to 2 or 3 TVs, so if people could fluss out all the toss models in this list then that would be most helpful. Thanks

Personally I would go for a 50hz sony or panasonic, why? well maybe a good combination of reliability and picture quality.

Always go for the bigger screen size if you can. That narrows it down to the two 32" sets on your list. Both Philips & Toshiba are respected brands.

Well ive heard alot of people have had various problems with Toshiba's so i guess it should be the Philips then?? Sould i not go for one of the Sony's?

You really need to see the set you are going to buy up and running first, only your eyes can tell you which is best especially when viewing a 100hz screen, some are horrible and look like your watching Tetris- The Movie or footage of someone playing a ps1 game.

Lettuce, I've had my 28" 4:3 Toshiba for the last 7 years and the damn thing just wont break (so the wife says no TV on credit and I'm trying to save up for a new TV instead) which is why I've joined these forums, like you, for some advice.

(Unfortunately I've just gone and ordered a new centre speaker to take my 5.1 set-up to 6.1 - typical).

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned Toshy's are well made and are very reliable.

However, I have have certainly heard that widescreen Toshiba's can suffer from geometry problems. You should bear this in mind and if you feel that you couldn't live with a TV that didn't show a completly straight line then maybe a smaller screen TV would be a better option. Apparantly, geometry issues are less of a problem in the manufacture of smaller CRT's.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom