1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me make the best out of a bad situation!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Crispy5449, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Crispy5449

Crispy5449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am ashamed to say that I have given in to my GF's whingeing about my current AV set up and have agreed to sell it and replace it with a more aesthetically pleasing all in one unit (I have the Sony DAV-S888 in mind). I would like to point out that this is on the strict understanding that once we have finished furnishing our new house, I get to convert my office to a full on AV room / office , but in the meanwhile I need a good looking, good performing AV set up with a budget of approx £600.

Current set up is:

Sony STR-DB930 Amp / Receiver
    Pioneer DV-717 DVD
    Tannoy Mercury M3 fronts, M1 Rears and MC centre

Points to consider are:

Must be a satelite / sub set up

prefereably integrated into 1 box, or 2 slimline boxes (DVD / Receiver)

Preferably with slinky stands for the front

preferably silver

Ideally I'd like to get a shortlist of approx 3 systems and then let my ears make the final choice, so your help would be appreciated.

It doesn't have to be an all in one system - I am considering seperates as well such as the Pioneer DV454 / VSXC100S combo with (can get this for £250)a set of decent satelites and a sub (not found anything that looks good at around £300-350 so far though)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The "all in one scene" isn't one that I know a great deal about but the the mid priced Sony DAVs seem to garner five stars from whichever mag tests them.

They have a high GFAF but with the best will in the world you can't make five dinky little speakers sound as fulsome as your Tannoy floorstanders.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    If you are happy to take the step backwards, try the latest DAV models along with the offerings from Panasonic and Pioneer. Like Ian says they will never sounds as good as the system you own now, but I guess you already know this.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  5. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,530
    I've just uploaded 49 recent All-in-one system reviews at the What Home Cinema website. Worth a look since they include some combination systems you may not have considered.

6. Crispy5449

Crispy5449
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks guy's.

I like the look of the Panasonic - I'll have to sort out to have a listen and see what it's like.

I know that I'm going to lose something in performance from my current set up, but want to minimise this as much as possible.

7. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm (honestly!) not wishing to make things feel worse for you, but do you really have to change?

I own a Pioneer DCS-303 - which is fine, considering my considerations of space and finance; but it's far short of a bigger box system.

I know, I know... it goes without saying. I just can't imagine going 'the other way'! :eek:

Anyway, I can recommend (as do several others) the Pioneer; but know nothing of the 313 - aside from the cosmetic changes ('square' to curvy).

Regarding what I imagine is a better option, how about pairing your Pioneer suggestion with a Tannoy FX 5.1 sub/sat setup? I think the latter can be had for £300 or less and has received reasonable reviews in the press (for what that's worth! :rotfl: ). I remember a feature of possible options in a 'What Hi-Fi?' of a few months ago. I'll see what I can find and return with the candidates - if no-one gets there first. :laugh:

8. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Re: the Tannoy FX, I found them here and here.

The first link sells the set at £299.95 including delivery, the latter at £281.89 inc. (with additional delivery options at a premium).
    Both appear to be well-priced, considering the next best option was about £326. Incidentally, you'll find that one here. :)