1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Make A Sharp Lc-37hv4 Lcd Look Crap

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by fastferret, Jan 10, 2004.

1. fastferret

fastferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a nice 50" plasma and on the verge of ordering the Panasonic, but everytime I see the 37" SHARP Aquos LCD it impresses me.

Its a lot cheaper (and smaller!) than the Panasonic and I should never have to worry about screen burn. Regardless of any warnings I give, I know the kids will sometime leave static images on the screen.

It can do true 1080i HD and you can sit very close to it without seeing any screen door effect. I sit about 3m away but the kids seem to love viewing our 29" CRT from about a metre away!

I've seen many posts from people saying they are unhappy with LCDs (including the Sharp) but most people agree you should go with your eyes when choosing a screen and my eyes love the Sharp!

So before I make a big mistake can anyone tell me some specific DVD titles and scenes that will show up the limitations of the Sharp.

Also I hear Sharp announced a 45" at CES and that this should be out mid year. Anyone know if this will improve any current weaknesses of the 37" - or just be bigger. I really want a big screen NOW, but a 45" LCD sounds very appealing!

2. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you'll find it can't do true 1080i, it has a resolution of 1366 x 768 just like the 50" Panansonic plasma, for true 1080i you would need a resolution of 1920 x 1080 which as far as I know no current flat screen display has, apart from possibly one of the new 60"+ plasma's from the likes of LG or Samsung..

3. fastferret

fastferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rscott,

You're right on the 1080i.
    I'd have to wait for the 45" for that.

4. eyecare

eyecare

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to pay for a LC-37HV4H but only a few days ago bought the newest model LC-37AA1H in Hong Kong. I note you are located in Shanghai so the models should be the same. The newer model has 1-bit sound, different speakers and different look. There is a 'Quick Shoot' feature which I assume means shorter response time to minimise trailing effect of LCDs.

Also, it is very bright with high contrast and the TFT screen does not have reflection from bright windows or room lights, compared with the typical reflection off the front glass pane of plasma units.

Sitting twelve feet away in bed, I am surfing the net easily with a 800x600 screen. Looking at my digital photo slide show through the computer at this low resolution gives excellent sharpness and I am tempted to use this in lieu of my usual computer screen. If I use 1024x768, I have to move closer when browsing the net.

TV and satallite programmes via a good RF signal turn out very acceptable and I could hardly see any streaking on moving footballs or tennis balls.

I am indeed pleased with this unit. Go check this one out. It only started shipping in Hong Kong this week!

5. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I bought the Sharp 37" for the same reasons you have stated, mainly it's hi resolutions and no screen burn, but I have to say that I was very disappointed by it and exchanegd it for the 50" Panasonic I have now which IMHO is in a different league all together.

Sure the Sharp looks good and comes with speakers, stand and a tuner box but I did not really want any of that.

In terms of picture quality I like the blacks on the panny better, you also have more control over the image as well. The Sharp was not happy with my iScan Ultra which I use to help improve the PQ of Sky+ and also the Sharp has terrible overscan on all sources and no way of correcting this. The Sharp allways seemed that little bit too processed for me too.

Also the Sharp did not seem to benefit from being fed a prog-scan image from my Denon 2900 which was a bit odd.

The Sharp does handle motion better than most LCDs but still not as well as the panny and if you plan to hook up a PC I was unable to get it to run at it's native resolution, 1280x768 was the best I could achieve.

All that said though you have to buy what you like. I was lucky and my dealer was happy for me to exchange the Sharp for the panny - in fact I still have both at the moment...long story - so have been in a good position to test both screens at length.

My advice is to see both screens side-by-side if at all possible.

Cheers, Lee

6. fastferret

fastferret

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your input, Lee and Eyecare.

Just been out looking at the sharp again and it still looks good, although the 30" next to the 37" seemed to have better blacks/more contrast.

Looked at a "Prima" chinese 42"LCD too. Never heard of this brand but I gave it a run with a test DVD and it looked pretty bad. Ran the same DVD on the sharp and it was chalk and cheese. Seems to be a shortage of 50" panasonic plasmas still. None on display to try the same dvd with.

Eyecare, I checked out the 37AA1H on the web. Looked like the same screen as the LC-37HV4H but different sound and appearance.

Check out this link in the US avs forum. That Sharp 45" LCD is making me drool!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=348929