• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help me make a decision

djmcgrathav

Standard Member
Hello all,

I'm fairly new to Blu-Ray, and have only just started to look around for a player.

I've got the 32inch Toshiba 32D3030D, after a review from What HIFI some time ago, and been reasonably happy with it. My small gripes tend to be about the quality of Virgin+ on 1080p but I guess that's not the TV's fault.

I have an extensive collection of DVDs so bought a DVD upscaler but I'm thinking of getting a BluRay player over the next few weeks.

I want a player that is less than £300, and would make my existing DVDs look as good as possible. I'll start buying BluRay DVDs from now on so I will be building up a separate collection of those discs, but will probably be watching films from both "collections" equally, as I have a lot of my favourite films on normal DVDs.

Based on reading What HIFI and these forums, I seem to have 2 choices:

Panasonic DMP-BD35 or the Sony BD350.

I have a few questions about them, which other threads started to answer but then descended into tangents:

1. Which is the better upscaler?
2. The Sony player is on Amazon with 2 free films for 189, and the Panasonic 35 doesn't seem to be on Amazon at all. Does anyone know when this will be available? I suspect the price will be around the 250 mark - is the extra £70 worth it?
3. Amazon do have the Panasonic 30 - is this a worthwhile machine to consider alongside the Sony and the 35, or shall I forget it in favour of the 35?
4. Audio isn't a great concern to me, as I don't have any separate audio equipment coming out of the TV so the differences in audio quality isn't a massive deciding factor.

If anyone could give me their opinion, or a recommendation as to the player they'd buy, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

kingfats

Distinguished Member
Panasonic DMP-BD35 or the Sony BD350.

I have a few questions about them, which other threads started to answer but then descended into tangents:

1. Which is the better upscaler?
2. The Sony player is on Amazon with 2 free films for 189, and the Panasonic 35 doesn't seem to be on Amazon at all. Does anyone know when this will be available? I suspect the price will be around the 250 mark - is the extra £70 worth it?
3. Amazon do have the Panasonic 30 - is this a worthwhile machine to consider alongside the Sony and the 35, or shall I forget it in favour of the 35?
4. Audio isn't a great concern to me, as I don't have any separate audio equipment coming out of the TV so the differences in audio quality isn't a massive deciding factor.

If anyone could give me their opinion, or a recommendation as to the player they'd buy, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

Hi damianjmcgrath. :)
1.Probably not much between them both. :smashin:
2.Should be soon.
3.It's fine....but everyone likes a new model ;) plus it's profile 2.0,blah,blah blah.
S350?
All the best.

AnthonyG

Distinguished Member
If you have even the slightest interest in games, I would definitely recommend going for the PS3. Its a superb Blu-Ray player.

As long as you get the model with 65nm RSX, you will be well set.

Any 80GB, or the CECHJ 40GB models have 65nm RSX.

syfodyas

If you have even the slightest interest in games, I would definitely recommend going for the PS3. Its a superb Blu-Ray player.

As long as you get the model with 65nm RSX, you will be well set.

Any 80GB, or the CECHJ 40GB models have 65nm RSX.

And yet I hear the opposite - that the new models have noisy fans...

Listen, if you are strictly interested in movies and the cinematic experience, do not put your eggs into a games console - buy a decent dedicated player that doesnt have a noisy fan, doesnt rely on a games controller or costly bluetooth remote (not included) for navigation of movie menues and doesnt restrict playback of multiregion DVDs as the PS3 does.

Avi

Distinguished Member
And yet I hear the opposite - that the new models have noisy fans...

Listen, if you are strictly interested in movies and the cinematic experience, do not put your eggs into a games console - buy a decent dedicated player that doesnt have a noisy fan, doesnt rely on a games controller or costly bluetooth remote (not included) for navigation of movie menues and doesnt restrict playback of multiregion DVDs as the PS3 does.

I've watched a few high end setups (some dealers) and it's interesting that the choice of Blu-ray player has been the PS3. Personally I have not interest in games but I am interested in Blu-ray PQ and use a PS3. I only have one remote and it controls everything including the PS3. :)

Some performance details from a recent "Blu-ray player shootout" i.e. Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer and Samsung models (use the link to download the pdf)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=14673226&postcount=99

AVI

Last edited:

djmcgrathav

Standard Member
Hmm, thanks very much guys, appreciate your comments.

Thanks to kingfats comments, I've added the Panasonic 30 to my list so there's now 3 players I'm considering - the 30, the 35 and the Sony S350. At the moment, the Sony is the cheapest so that's currently winning my thoughts.

However, thanks to this thread, the possibility of just getting a good upscaling DVD player has come up, and after having a look around, two players have grabbed my attention:

- Pioneer DV-LX50
- Oppo 983.

I have got a large DVD collection so perhaps an upscaler would be a more sensible option to get the best out of them, but if the price is around the same, then surely getting a BluRay player so I have the option of buying new films on BluRay going forward would be more sensible?

In terms of making my existing DVDs look the best, what would be better - one of the 3 BluRay players mentioned or one of the two upscalers mentioned?

Thanks!

Avi

Distinguished Member
Hmm, thanks very much guys, appreciate your comments.

Thanks to kingfats comments, I've added the Panasonic 30 to my list so there's now 3 players I'm considering - the 30, the 35 and the Sony S350. At the moment, the Sony is the cheapest so that's currently winning my thoughts.

However, thanks to this thread, the possibility of just getting a good upscaling DVD player has come up, and after having a look around, two players have grabbed my attention:

- Pioneer DV-LX50
- Oppo 983.

I have got a large DVD collection so perhaps an upscaler would be a more sensible option to get the best out of them, but if the price is around the same, then surely getting a BluRay player so I have the option of buying new films on BluRay going forward would be more sensible?

In terms of making my existing DVDs look the best, what would be better - one of the 3 BluRay players mentioned or one of the two upscalers mentioned?

Thanks!

It really depends on your expectation. :)

In terms of the SD DVD players you mention the LX50 is decent but technically i.e. deinterlacing the Oppo is better. Both are better than any of the Blu-ray players you mention in terms of SD DVD performance. So the answer is if SD DVD quality is critical a dedicated SD DVD player will provide the best result unless you wish to spend a bit on a Blu-ray player with high quality Realta processing.

If you don't have a high expectation than probably any will do the job.

AVI

djmcgrathav

Standard Member
I don't really have any expectation. I'm currently using a bog standard DVD player with my TV, so any increase in quality will be great to me.

I'm just a little confused as to whether to go for a DVD upscaling machine and forget all about Blu Ray, or whether to get a Blu Ray player to "future proof" myself.

If I go down the Blu Ray route, and not buy any Blu Ray discs for a while, I don't want to watch my normal DVDs and think I could be getting better quality for the money I spent.

I guess I want a bit of everything lol!

Avi

Distinguished Member
I don't really have any expectation. I'm currently using a bog standard DVD player with my TV, so any increase in quality will be great to me.

I'm just a little confused as to whether to go for a DVD upscaling machine and forget all about Blu Ray, or whether to get a Blu Ray player to "future proof" myself.

If I go down the Blu Ray route, and not buy any Blu Ray discs for a while, I don't want to watch my normal DVDs and think I could be getting better quality for the money I spent.

I guess I want a bit of everything lol!

If you're not planning on buying Blu-ray discs for a while I wouldn't buy now as the players are still evolving. By the time you come to buy discs there is likley to be more choice, better performance and better prices.

Something like the Oppo 980 offer very good SD DVD price performance for about £150. If you don't want to spend that much there are other half decent players for less if you don't expect too much.

AVI

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I personally think an SD DVD player now, given you have a forward interest in BR isn't the greatest buy.... no matter how good it is SD DVD will never look as good as BR, and i've done side by side comparisons of a few different players upscaling SD DVD and sure there is some difference, but between a top of the line Denon 29xx and my EP-35 there wasn't a huge amount - and on a 32" TV i think you'd see even less of a difference...

For £150 you could have an Oppo
For £162 you can have the Samsung BDP-1500 and 2 Discs.... great audio if you don't have an HDMI amp with the DTS re-encode too.

EDIT: Or get the Sony as you mentioned for £192 with 2 Free discs also!

Last edited:

Avi

Distinguished Member
no matter how good it is SD DVD will never look as good as BR

I certainly wouldn't disagree (unless the it's a really crap disc) in general terms :)

But with 32" TV the difference may be less noticeable.

AVI

Last edited:

BISHI

Distinguished Member
I would wait until after xmas to buy anything ..... we can expect massive price cuts in everything due to the predicted xmas shopping slump this year.... whatever you decide to buy, wait !!!

djmcgrathav

Standard Member
Thanks guys, really appreciate your answers.

I'm going to wait until after Christmas - and then, maybe armed with some Christmas money - assess the players on the market and possibly go for a Blu Ray one in January.

I might be back in here then to get people's opinions as to the best buy! :)

Thanks all, much appreciated!

rockape(RRBB)

Standard Member
hi, i need some advice as to which blu-ray player would give best performance an be most practically suited to my current viewing system... im watching a full HD panasonic TH-50PZ700 which is connected to a Harmon Kardon AVR255 with the better version of thier 5.1 speaker syatem... while i dont mind shelling out for more expensive high end players if the quality reflects the price,i also dont want to waste money on gizmos i dont understand if my current equipment does the same job ,or worse still,it isnt compatible with the toys that come with the new BR player!... i been led to believe the HK AVR has some reasonable audio features and upscaling thingybobs already so does anybody have any suggestions what BR i should consider???... also what would be the best way to connect it all together?...HDMI from the blu-ray to the HK AVR(which is already linked to the tv via HDMI),or,HDMI from the blu-ray to the tv then some other sort of audio connection to the HK???..sorry if these rather bone questions got you guys tearing your hair out or screeching with laughter!...as i said im a techno-biff...but i still would love to have the best viewing experience possible and any helpfull advice will be greatly appreciated... cheers:lease:

kingfats

Distinguished Member
hi, i need some advice as to which blu-ray player would give best performance an be most practically suited to my current viewing system... im watching a full HD panasonic TH-50PZ700 which is connected to a Harmon Kardon AVR255 with the better version of thier 5.1 speaker syatem... while i dont mind shelling out for more expensive high end players if the quality reflects the price,i also dont want to waste money on gizmos i dont understand if my current equipment does the same job ,or worse still,it isnt compatible with the toys that come with the new BR player!... i been led to believe the HK AVR has some reasonable audio features and upscaling thingybobs already so does anybody have any suggestions what BR i should consider???... also what would be the best way to connect it all together?...HDMI from the blu-ray to the HK AVR(which is already linked to the tv via HDMI),or,HDMI from the blu-ray to the tv then some other sort of audio connection to the HK???..sorry if these rather bone questions got you guys tearing your hair out or screeching with laughter!...as i said im a techno-biff...but i still would love to have the best viewing experience possible and any helpfull advice will be greatly appreciated... cheers:lease:

Hi rockape(RRBB). :)
HDMI from player to amp and then out HDMI to the TV is the usual method for taking advantage of HD audio.
Otherwise you can go HDMI to TV and optical out of player to amp for DD/DTS if your amps not up to spec.
Popular player at the moment is the Sony S350.
All the best.

ARNOLD AKIEN

How much do you want to pay? The recommended Sony is Pretty good but if you want to pay Very Little whilst the Blue Ray System settles in and prices of High Tech AV equipment fall sub credit crunch ... The Christmas Season is going to be a High Street Disaster this year .. then the Samsung 1400 has been sited here and there on the web at below £100 ... £30 in the case of one buyer who lucked upon a slightly superficially scratched 1400.

I'm waiting for my Pioneer 71 to be hard chipped for multi region after which my 1400 goes in the bedroom an... oh, I'd need to buy more equipment to do that ... the storage bay as a spare then since it's hardly worth selling at these price levels. :devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom