Help Me - LCD Buying Advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by dannyb666, Dec 20, 2006.

Tags:
  1. dannyb666

dannyb666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking around for a new tv and I've come to the conclusion I desperately need some advice from some people who actually know what they're talking about, unlike myself. I've come up with the following requirements -

- Money - I'm flexible on the budget. I want a top quality set but to spend as little as possible doing so, I guess that's the same for everyone.

- Size - Not too big and not too small. It's going to be in my bedroom until I finally decide to move out into the real world (could be a while), at which point it will be going in I guess my relatively small living room. Unless I win the lottery in which case I'll probably buy a new tv anyway.

- SD - I dont have or plan on getting skyhd so it needs to be good at the old SD. I use a Topfield 5800pvr thing via scart I think so needs those and doesn't require freeview built in.

- Future Proof - If I'm spending a :censored: load of my hard earned cash on it I want it to last me longer than a few months. I'm not desperate for a new TV either, so would consider waiting for any upcoming tvs that have any new worthwhile features.

- Gaming - Will be using with a PS2 via component (that's best for it I think), probably a 360 in a few months and possibly a ps3 as well.

I appreciate any advice and recommendations or whatever, the more the merrier. Thanks!

2. pixelated

pixelated

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Panasonic TVs might be the best option for you purely because their SD performance is, in my opinion, ahead of everyone else. Sony LCD TVs are popular here at the moment as are Toshiba and Samsung. They're the most popular I'd say, and they all have their merits and demerits. My nod goes to Panasonic but there are many happy owners here for other sets.

I'm sure you'll get the answers you want. Welcome to the forum :)

3. lord-dudester

lord-dudester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    panasonic or toshiba. i think for SD performance, these sets are the way to go

sonys and samsungs are greats sets, but excel in other areas IMO

4. dannyb666

dannyb666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Woops sorry about the swearing!

I know I said I don't plan on getting skyhd and thats true for the forseeable future, but may get it as and when more HD broadcasting becomes available. Also forgot to mention I'm thinking of a set around 37" and £1.5k, though thats just what I'm thinking and open to ideas in either direction.

5. dannyb666

dannyb666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Checked out the Panasonic and Toshiba websites.

Panasonic only seem to do up to 32" LCDs which is about the smallest I want to go, but the main problem is none appear to be 1080p.

Toshiba only seem to do 2 1080p LCDs a 42" and 47". 42" may be too big, price on it also seems low for a 1080p LCD of that size which makes me concerned its not as good as others?

I hate to admit but as usual I'm drawn towards the top end stuff. I read the thread on the Sharp HD1E's coming out early next year. You guys appear to be impressed so they cant be too bad.