Question Help me keep my projector cool in the chimney!

aMaZeInG

So the idea was to make a hole for the the projector in the chimney breast so like all my in wall speakers the projector could be concealed.My main concern is that projector will over heat in no time at all as there is no ventilation apart from out the front.

I have a few ideas like putting a vent in the top of the chimney or out the back of the
chimney breast however that would mean a constant flow of cold air into the living room. I am having a Control4 system done so the craziest idea is to have a zigbee controlled air vent which would open and close when the projector turns on or off.

I'd like to know what you guys think and whether you even think it will be a problem?

Plasma Dan

I always suggest focussing on getting rid of the heat energy, rather than trying to blow-in cold air. If you can extract the heat, it won't be able to build-up. The projector will be fine in-taking ambient air. :smashin:

I have a few ideas like putting a vent in the top of the chimney or out the back of the chimney breast however that would mean a constant flow of cold air into the living room.

Air doesn't usually flow down chimneys, unless there's a negative pressure in the house relative to the chimney pressure (unusual, but can happen). You can install a revolving chimney cowl that should eliminate any potential downdraught. However, I doubt the upwards draught would be enough to keep the projector cool. I would suggest installing some extractor fans to push the warm air up & away from the projector to prevent the heat from building-up.

or out the back of the chimney breast

If you can do it this way it would most likely be your best / easiest option. Just use a wall extractor fan. Lots of options here: Fans - Toolstation

It is possible to control the fan(s) using the projector, I did something similar for my project:

Ongoing: PlasmaDan's Living Room Cinema / Office Build

Ongoing: PlasmaDan's Living Room Cinema / Office Build

A simple relay circuit is all you would need to activate a 230V extractor fan using the projectors 12V toggle output (might need to power the relay from a DC adaptor due to current restrictions, as I had to do to power my 12V fans). :smashin:

Dan.

Geps

First thing to do is to find out where your projector vents to, as if it's out the front, then you've pretty much solved your problem as it'll naturally draw in the air from the back. That said, I'd still out a couple fans above to help increase the air flow.

I wouldn't recommend your chimney idea as chimneys can be damp dusty places, which make them a poor source of air.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
What speaker system are you using? Those holes look to be very low for Surround and Rears and assuming you have limited range Front LCR you ideally want to Sub at the front of the room.

Joe

aMaZeInG

What speaker system are you using? Those holes look to be very low for Surround and Rears and assuming you have limited range Front LCR you ideally want to Sub at the front of the room.

Joe

Hi Joe, I am having a 7.2.2 system powered by a Marantz SR7010. The key part is that it not a cinema room it's a living room that doubles as a cinema room. So to keep my wife happy I had to go in wall as well as have the speaker placement partly dictated. The KEF speakers seemed the best bet with the Uni-Q drivers.

Surrounds are 7 x KEF Ci4100QL-THX Speakers
2 x Subwoofers, one behind the sofa and one to the front corner are JL Audio Dominion D110
2 x Ceiling KEF Ci200RR-THX Speakers

Hoping it will be awesome!

Projector is JVC X7000 and screen is a 109" Seymour AV Centre Stage XD Retractable Screen.

aMaZeInG

First thing to do is to find out where your projector vents to, as if it's out the front, then you've pretty much solved your problem as it'll naturally draw in the air from the back. That said, I'd still out a couple fans above to help increase the air flow.

So I just turned on the JVC X7000 for the first time and after leaving it on it is clear that the Front left fan spits out the hot air while the rear vents and the front right vent suck in the cool air. I'm think the proof will be in the pudding and I will test a 3 hour film this week and see if it effects the projector.

aMaZeInG

After running Mad Max twice I am delighted that the JVC did not overheat thanks to the 3 fans sucking in the air and the one blowing out away from the projector. So drama is over and the builder can crack on with finishing the house. Pics to follow in next few weeks!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom