1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me Jeebus / Need advice with PHILIPS 32PW9618

Discussion in 'TVs' started by KaiB2, Jan 13, 2004.

1. KaiB2

KaiB2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya all,

I bought a PHILIPS 32PW9618 with the surround speakers primarily for use with my consoles (gamecube & xbox) and of course movies.

I cannot for the life of me get the tv to pick up the sound from the cube as DPLII...

The sockets on the back make no sense to me, there are two (phono style) audio digital-in plugs on the back which you can map to the video inputs via the menu's but i'm not sure which cables i need, the gamecube only comes in RGB scart / composite with stereo phono cables as far as i know, can anyone suggest what i need to get this thing up and running with the cube/xbox and dvd for surround sound???

any help would be greatly appreciated (the picture on this tv is amazing btw) and sorry if these are "noob" questions, but I am a Noob!!! ;)

Hopefully you can help me out ;)

Thanks guys,

KaiB2.

2. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think you may be confusing the surround sound formats.

DPL II is not a digital format surround, nor is it discrete (like 5.1 Digital). It is simply a new encoding/decoding format which takes a standard Stereo sound source to give more realistic surround sound experience.

The software/programme source doesn't even need to have DPL II encoded on it for the DPL II effect. There a limited sources of DPL II material at the moment, but that ain't so bad, because it works on plain old Stereo as well as normal DPL material.

Because it's not digital (like regular Dolby ProLogic), there are no further leads to connect (apart from either scart/phonos).

I am assuming your Tv has Dolby Digital built in, but perhaps not DPL II.

3. KaiB2

KaiB2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

Thanks for replying...

That's my problem, if I plug the gamecube (for instance) into the RGB scart socket direct, then the sound information displays stereo (not Dolby Stereo x/x) as it should.

Same with Dolby 5.1 DVD's, simply shows as Stereo on the Information screen.

Any idea's guys?

Regards,

KaiB2.

4. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It sounds like your tv is working correctly -

It will only display 'Dolby Stereo x/x' when it receives a Dolby Digital signal.

You're only going to get this via the digital co-ax or toslink output from a dvd player/sky+ box.

5. KaiB2

KaiB2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But shouldn't it display something along the lines of "Dolby Pro Logic II" if it detects a PLII signal; all I get is "Stereo". How am I supposed to know if the DPLII is being decoded correctly?

Cheers,

Kai.

6. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The tv or any other decoder, for that matter, doesn't normally indicate the analogue surround formats it receives.

They rely on the user to select what ever is appropriate.