1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me : iPod and Sennheiser problem

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by edgler vess, Aug 9, 2005.

1. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I´ve just bought the Sennheiser HD202 headphones for my iPod but I´m getting a LOWER output level compared to the apple iPod in-ear headphones.

Why ?

Is this about the greater the sensitivity of a headphone, the higher the volume level produced by a headphone ?

or

with low impedance headphones you get more volume for a given voltage ?

or

is it just because the apple iPod headphones are in-ear ?

Probably different headphones require different volume levels, based on impedance level. My sennheiser require almost 100% volume !

So ... which headphones require a say, 50%-60% volume on the iPod ?

I am confused and now I´m looking on what headphones to buy ... again !!

Thanks in advance

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    That figures. Quite apart from the fact that drivers outside of your ear need more power to get the same volume versus drivers located much closer to your ear, the HD202's probably have lower efficiency (quoted in db/mw).

The efficiency (the more the headphone makes of an input signal), plus how far away the driver from your ear is what makes up how loud the phone is.

Have you tried Euro cap removal software like iMod?

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Sensitivity and impedance have a big effect on the iPod or any MP3 player for that matter.
    A lower sensitivity requires more power to get to a similar level as a higher sensitivity headphone.
    Impedance is really only a factor on battery drain - the lower the impedance, the more current gets drawn, the more power the battery loses. Higher impedances reduce that effect, but up to a point. Beyond a certain impedance however, the sound will reduce as there is effectively a resistor in series with the earphones, reducing volume level. I'd imagine though, that the impedance required to notice this effect would be well into the k? rather than a couple of hundred. So, in essence most 'phones will not exhibit this trait and sensitivity will be your chief concern.

4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Also impedance has an effect on the iPod not so much in terms of volume, but in terms of the bass. Phones below 32 ohms in impedance will cause a very noticeable loss of bass on the iPod.

5. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes.

6. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hmmm... So you're driving a closed phone of around 100db/mw efficiency and 32 ohms impedance with about 10~15db isolation at 100% unrestricted iPod volume?

:eek:

Um... I can be sitting in a train with a semi-open phone of 100db/mw efficiency and 70 ohms impedance with definitely not more than 5db isolation (and the drivers set further back from the ear than the 202) at about 60% unrestricted iPod volume.

There is something wrong here. What sort of environment are you listening in, and what genre? Classical by any chance?

I can recommend an alternative to the Apple buds, which will definitely be louder for the same volume, but the Shure E2c in-earphones (they ship to the UK) can be easily cranked to levels that cause permanant damage to hearing by the unrestricted iPod if you're in the habit of 'turning it to 11'.

While it would be the case that you will hear less volume with the HD202's than the Apple buds, the higher isolation they provide should compensate for the loss of that volume in most areas with certain ambient noise, and if you feel that you need to turn them up to 100%, I have half a feeling that you have some hearing problems which need to be addressed. Perhaps nothing to worry, but could you answer my questions even just to leave me at rest that I'm not advising someone how to screw up their hearing further?

7. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ... just about 70 % - 75 %.

With the Apple buds about 50%.

I´ve no hearing problems ... :)

At home. Rock/Pop/R&B

I just want to get the same output level from the headphones ...

8. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Oh I see. Phew. :D

You won't get the same output level from headphones.

9. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I noticed the same yesterday when i finally tried my Senhheiser 480II on my iPOD.

Impedance and sensivity for sure...

10. edgler vess

edgler vess
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Falp,

What are you going to do about that ?

Keep the Senhheiser or buy a better in-ear phones ?

11. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Keep them for now... will see in the future if buy a pair of sennheiser MX... The 99€ I gave for my moto-audio is nice and simple.

12. AOD

AOD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got exactly the same issue when I tried my MP3 player (Zen Micro) with my "flying" headphones (a pair of Sennheiser's with active noise cancelling).

Normally I'm happy with the volume at around 7 (max is between 25 and 30 IIRC) using the supplied headphones, but with the Sennheiser's, I had to crank it to 20+ to get a decent volume).

As others far more knowledgeable than I have already commented, it's an issue of the sensitivity & impedance of the standard phones vs others.