1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help me introduce an AV ?????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jcilia, Mar 23, 2005.

1. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right this might be a tricky question to answer but being a newbie I am rather lost. So I currently have a Panay with Dolby prologic and I want to add an AV I am looking at Denon 2105 or Marantz 4400 more inclined for the Denon due to auto set-up. However I want to use the Panny front and rear speakers which are 8 Ohms 15W each and if possible the TV central speakers, plus I have an Aiwa 60w Active subwoofer. I will be connecting a Humax Sat box, Cheap Samsung DVD and Cable tv reception via TV. I would really appreciate some advice as you can see from above I am lost :)

2. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi :hiya: And welcome to the forums.

1. Dont use a TV as a center speaker, it will be crap and not tonally matched to your Fronts.

2. I have a Denon 3805 amp and think its the dogs testicles. So going by that the 2105 should be OK.

3. If you live near Mansfield I have a full 5.1 set-up sitting in a cellar doing nowt. Good starter system. Make me an offer :)

3. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I would replace all the speakers or it won't be worth buying the amp.

4. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, I was sort of worried that this would be a typical reply i.e. scrap the speakers. re offer would be a waste to ship to Malta :) is there a chance of blowing the speakers or is it because of quality ?

Joe

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Generally speaking you can do more damage to speakers by under powering them than over - the idea being that if you have an amp putting out up to 90 watts and your speakers can only handle 15 watts that once you start outputting above their handling ability the sound will distort and become unlistenable and so you reduce the volume. If you were to run it above their handling for extended periods you could cause damage.

To put it slightly bluntly - there is no point in buying an amp of the quality of the Denon 2105 and then only use cheap freeby speakers that came with the TV. It would work as an interim solution but if you do not intend to purchase better speakers in the long run (including a centre) you may as well save some pennies and buy a cheaper amp.

6. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astaroth,

thanks for the info - fair enough reply, I think I will still start with the amp and take it from there but I do see your point. My main concern still remains central speaker I just haven't got the place to add another speaker. Having said all this the Panasonic speakers and TV are not bad and the Dolby prologic is good but still misses that clear quality sound. I thought an amp could clear that and eventualy replace all speakers when I have enough cash for a large LCD TV. Mind you I could be saying stupid things as I am not much techy when it comes to AV. Most probably I could get a bit clearer sound just by changing the rubbish cable I used. re amp I actualy have 3 choices Denon 2105. Sony DE697B and Marantz SR4500 I was first going for the Marantz but the auto room setup of Denon sounded great otherwise not sure what is best of the 3.

Joe

7. markymark34

markymark34

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    dont be put off by amps that dont have auto setup. Its all part of the fun!
    you could get something like a kef egg for a centre speaker. Quite small and will fit anywhere

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Autosetups do provide a usegul guide, but tweaking the settings after that is half the fun! :)

9. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Using the TV as the centre may be a possibility but could cause more problems than it fixes. I assume the speakers and TV originally came as a package and so the TV should be a close match to the L & R channel speakers - the main issue would be 'getting the signal to the TV speaker'.

You didnt list the model of your TV but if it has a speaker level in for the centre in the TV then it shouldnt be a problem. If not the only option would be to use a line level pre-out from the AVR to an audio input on the TV and use the TV's amp and speaker which can cause problems on matching tone and volume levels with the other speakers that are driven directly by the AVR.

You can always go for the option of not using a centre speaker and allowing the amp to create a ghost of it from the L & R channels but using the speakers you have I would be concerned with the sound quality (& as this is your first venture into home cinema I wouldnt want you put off by the result)

There are plenty of very small speakers available on the market and whilst it wont be an ideal match for the L & R it could do as an interim solution. I guess you would have the option of either getting a 'decent' speaker but this will probably commit you to that series when you purchase the rest or a 'throw away' (like the Mission M7C1 £50) which wont be great but will most likely give better results than ghosting or the TV built in speaker.

10. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Astaroth

My tv is a Panasonic TX28XDP2C a model which does not seem to be available in Europe as I could only find a manual from Italy and it's the DP1 - beats me what the codes mean apart from the 28 for 28" I guess. Re your comment on speaker level in for the centre I didn't understand this sorry is this a socket for audio in ? if I can explain the back parts has 2 x Scart ( one S-Video) 4 x speaker outputs Front L R and Rear L R plus what looks like phone L R ( don't know what these are for) currently I am actually hooking up the Aiwa active subwoofer from L R Front as well with the speakers. I got you re out from Amp to TV or ghosting on the LR front but the in I did not understand. One thing if it helps to describe there are OSD facilities to set Center speakers which I believe are stereo Front - L R Rear -L R distance and volume plus obviously Bass & treble, as I mentioned before sound is not bad but lacks clarity and strength. I would consider purchasing a center speaker only if I can use very small ones.

I trust I explained myself well.

Joe

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    I have only seen a couple of TVs that have a 'speaker level in' (would look like the speaker outputs but be an input instead) and it appears that yours doesnt have one.

A new AVR would give the potential for a stronger sound but this could be limited by the low power rating of the speakers.

Likewise the clarity and surround stearing of the AVR would be an improvement but again limited by the speakers potentially.

The centre speaker is the one which will deal with the majority of dialogue in a film and so if clarity is an issue will be the most important one to 'fix' and therefore I would be reluctant to suggest anything other than buying a centre. You could try the system with out a centre and see if it gives you sufficient improvement but I would have thought you will need to bite the bullet.

12. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, btw I just checked specs the 2 phonos are out not in - and yes as you said I am looking for clarity which is missing. I will probably try the AVR and add on speakers later as I am sure I will not be happy. mind you still not sure re Marantz 4500 or Denon 2105 - Denon seems better to me but Marantz is better supported locally

13. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    A lot will depend on your priorities. In my opinion Denon are significantly better at films but Marantz is much better at music.

For myself I have a seperate system for music and therefore (as per my signiture) went down the route of Denon.

14. jcilia

jcilia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

My main interest is films so I guess Denon it is.

thanks for your feedback.