help me hook it all up please.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by atlowers, Jan 1, 2007.

1. atlowers

atlowers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: Just bought a pioneer pdp507xd along with sony rdr-hxd 860 hard disc dvd and a philips hts 6510 2.1 home theatre system. I have sky and intend to upgrade to sky hd and unfortunately do not know my progressive scans from my hdmi`s. Can one of you experts please help with the best way of hooking these together to maximise performance. ie which box do i use the hdmi and how do I best use the progressive scan facility etc. Many thanks for any help.
    Andy.

2. davepuma

davepuma
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,506
    Your TV has 2 HDMI inputs, so connect the Sony 860 and the Philips up via HDMI. Then when you get Sky HD, connect Sky HD up via HDMI and connect the Philips up via component. You can use component for Sky HD as well.

Connect the digi-coax output from the Sony 860 to the co-ax input on the Philips to get 5.1/DTS surround sound from the Sony 860.

Connect Sky to the TV via SCART (set it to RGB. Services> System Setup(4) > Picture Settings (1) > Video Output - change to RGB and Save settings) and also connect Sky to the DVD recorder via SCART.

If the Philips has analogue audio inputs (RCA red/white), connect the Sky box to the Philips using a pair of RCA phono cables to get Dolby ProLogic II (2.0 channel mixed surround) from Sky.

When you get Sky HD, you will need to get an optical to co-ax converter box here at around £20 to get 5.1 surround sound from the Sky HD box as it has optical output only. I'm afraid that will leave you with the problem of having only one coax input on the Philips and 2 sources. You will need to get a switch box of some description. I know that Gefen make a digital audio switchbox. You could also use a Joytech SCART Switchbox as it has optical connections, so you would output in optical from both Sky HD and the Sony 860 and then convert the single output from the switchbox to co-ax for connection to the Philips.

I hope that makes sense.

3. atlowers

atlowers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dave,
    yes I think I can understand it all, Thankyou for clearing the minefield. It is most appreciated. Now I can start to get excited about the arrival of the 507 tomorrow and get the connection bits ordered and then worry about the running in settings but have seen loads of posts on this so hopefully will get it right. Have a great new year.
    Andy.