1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me guys!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Manuman, Apr 23, 2003.

1. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I have a Sony 930 Amp, a Pioneer 717 Dvd, an old pair of B&W 610 speakers(fronts) a Jamo Centre 100(yuk), and some real dodgy satellite speakers. And a REL Strata3 sub.

So, I want some new speakers, specifically some Fronts and a Centre, (I will use my B&Ws for rears until i have some ££ for matching rears)which i obviously want to match each other.

My room is roughly 4.5M x 3.5M.

I like the look of the Kef Q1's, but havent had the chance to demo any packages yet. I'll probably have around £600 ish to spend, any suggestions guys?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    If you like the B&W sound, a pair of DM602 and the matching centre speaker would seem an obvious place to start your quest.

I would also have a look / listen to the Quad 12L speakers plus their matching centre speaker which I prefer to the B&W setup

3. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    does the B&W centre match the fronts acoustically?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It matches the current range but probably not your old ones

5. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, im not too fussed about the rears at the moment, i can buy them another time, and i think my 610's will do ok until then.

Thanks.

6. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Kef Qs are great speakers (I have Kef Q1s & a Q9c) but they will not suit everyone's taste a demo is very important. I demod mine v B&W 601 s3 (too big for my room & didn't like being near a wall), AE Evo 1 (again didn't like being against a wall) & Monitor Audio Silver (loved them almost as much as the Qs but not quite).

£600 will be enough to sort your front stage with any of the above including stands and cables

7. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I second the recommendation for Quads, though the 11Ls will probably suit your budget better than the 12s (and I don't believe there's much of a difference between them), particularly with your Strata handling the lows.

Actually, if you *can* stretch to the 12L, I would SERIOUSLY recommend comparing them to the ATC SCM-7s (£480 per pair), which I believe to be far superior in every way. Also, ATC are very good about flexibility, and would be happy to sell you three SCM-7s at £240 each, which would work out to less than a pair of 7s and the matching centre.

Cheers,

Dunc

8. Manuman

Manuman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing is, the centre has to sit on top of my TV(a fs76), so are these speakers shielded?

Also, how do the Kef centres perform? (the one that matches the Q1)

9. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My local dealer recommended against using the 11L's for AV. If you have gotten anything out of this thread it must be that it shows how personal speaker choice really is! Get down to your local dealer and have a good old fashoined listen:D

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Presumably as he didn't stock them :D

The Quad speakers are perfect for AV but everyone should still listen first to ensure that whatever they pick is to their own taste.

11. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually he does, so ner!
    The reason was something to do with their inability to reproduce a 'slam' of audio necessary for AV. The B&W Kevlar drive unit is much more siuited to the stresses required, aparrently.:p :lesson:

12. the oracle

the oracle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ... love the cheeky photo next to your I.D. Is that you, or the late JC?:laugh:

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    It's me of course :D

14. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi All,

I've got the Kef Cresta Centre, and Cresta 1's as surround speakers and they sound lovely !!

All i need is another centre for back surround to finish it off.

I would recomend the Kef's as i've always had a soft spot for their speakers for music.

Cheers

Cosmic023