Help me get this right the first time!

PaulCa

Hi. First post. I'll try to be as brief as possible.

Presently: Optical TOS out from TV goes to 1990s Sony amp + speakers. 80W per side true RMS. 320W total PMPO.

Why change? Want 5.1.

I do not want audiophile stuff. I'll happily run 70W speakers on bell wire. I just want a solid, full proof set up without going so cheap I regret it and have to buy the more expensive option anyway.

Currently I'm look at the Yamaha HTR2071. Seems a basic enough non-network 5.1 reciever that will support 4K passthrough and active sub.

Yamaha do that as a kit with speakers and a passive sub for £499.
RicherSounds (UK) do the same Rx with Wharedale DX2s for £599.

I might give Sony options a look too. There stuff is usually solid.

Use Cases:
PC Media Centre HDMI -> RX -> TV : Stereo or Dolby 5.1 (depending on app and codecs) (or maybe just eARC this too, it depends on if the dedicated PC input is also the eARC output or not)
Smart Tv -> eARC -> Rx: Stereo or whatever Dolby/DTS codecs it's supports.

So.
Rx
Speakers
30m Cable
2x Rear speaker wall mounts
2x Front speaker stands.
1x staple gun
1x carpet prodding, pushing tool to push the carpet back into it's grip runners? (Screwdriver?)
HDMI cables (Surely "High speed HDMI" cables are a scam?)
RCA phono for Sub (if active).

Anything else I need?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Yamaha AVR - is ARC enabled so possibly better to connect your PC to the AVR rather than the TV depending on what the TV HDMI Input>ARC Output supports.

Sound - I’d go listen to a few budget Sat/Sub systems to ensure they deliver a sound you like!

HDMI cables - there is a very expensive to implement Certificatiin programme which Cable Manufacturers and Brands can buy into to ‘prove’ the capabilities of a cable assembly. Look for the official labelling on any cables.

See - HDMI Cables - Different Cable Types

Joe

PaulCa

HDMI cables - there is a very expensive to implement Certificatiin programme which Cable Manufacturers and Brands can buy into to ‘prove’ the capabilities of a cable assembly. Look for the official labelling on any cables.

See - HDMI Cables - Different Cable Types

Thanks. At least they aren't "PC World" prices. Used to laugh at their "premium high speed ethernet cables" that cost £14.99 for 1 meter, but had the same CAT5e rating as the £4.99 cable beside it and the 0.49p cable from an actual network hardware supplier.

Seems certified Ultra highspeed cables are available for a tenner.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The 'HDMI Ethernet Channel' idea never took off - though the ability of a correctly wired cable to convey a signal over the 'with Ethernet' internal wiring and it not being used allowed those same wires to be repurposed for ARC and eARC.

Ensure you look for correctly labelled 'Ultra High Speed' cables with the security stickers etc - too easy to state things like Ultrahigh Speed on non-certified cables.

Joe

PaulCa

Is it worth considering any of the electronic discount online stores or ebay for second hand / refurbed recievers? Or is it more hassle / too much of a gamble?

Just the idea of going non-brand-new or discount route, could net me a 7.2 Network receiver for the same money. Then again, I got stung trying the same from a Chinese electronic retailer recently, cancelled the order and got a paypal refund after waiting 2 months on shipping.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'Is it worth considering any of the electronic discount online stores or ebay for second hand / refurbed recievers? Or is it more hassle / too much of a gamble?' - only you can make that call.

Have you talked with any local suppliers? Shops often have ex demo, returned, refurb items.

When working to a budget 'less is more' is my thoughts and you can grab a decent quality 5.1 AVR either pre HDMI or pre 4K with some decent speakers if you do go second hand.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom