1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me future proof....

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by GTM-KEN, May 20, 2005.

1. GTM-KEN

GTM-KEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Ive been doing lots of reading on this forum and got load of great info..Thanks guys!

I have had to re-register recently and been around for sometime now.

Anyway.......We are about to get a new house and planning for the new system is well under way! :thumbsup: We are going to be wall mounting our Hitachi plasma and flush mounting and plastering over any cables that are needed.

Im going to be running a power cable and a DVI cable / control cable in indervidual channels. Are there any other cables I could add in order to future proof my installation?? Maybe a component connection? Or iis it not needed as a DVI connection going to be the new standard??

Thanks

Ken

2. R2D2

R2D2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could put a thin pipe in the wall and put sting aswell as the cables through it then if you needed to update you could just tie on the plug to one end and pull it through the pipe with the string but you needen bother if yu dont think you will be updting in a hurry

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    speak to stuart about getting your old user name re-established.......
    Component and cat 5 would be a good idea as well as HDMI in the future you may need more than one digital cable put some cat 5 and RF coax in there as well

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    When i was routing my cables, i put one component cable and two dvi cables, the dvi cables can be turned into hdmi by the use of a convertor. This was on the assumption that i use HCPC, xbox and a next gen console which i hoped would have dvi/hdmi.

5. GTM-KEN

GTM-KEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are component cable still needed... as HDMI-DVI are starting to come of age??

Cat 5 is a good idea though......
    I was going to put a coax in anyway so I could use a TV link for the SKY control and a TV Link Plus to control the DVD recorder and amp, because we are going to be putting all the boxes in a cabinet in another room.....We are looking for a super clean look with only the screen and speakers in the living room.

Ian

6. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Its a tough call, especially if you are not currently using one, for what it costs for a component cable i would probably put one in.

7. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i would add what u can now, as its an lot harder to add later on.. atleast go for 2 dvi, 1 component, UHF (for TV/FM etc.) and Cat 5e (to the media center where an pc might be)

8. Gregory

Gregory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Two others could be more CAT5 for an IR remote extended receiver/sender, and possibly an audio interconnect pair (e.g. to allox 'clean' hookup between the plasma and a sub, when you just want to watch telly & can't be doing with turning everything on).

Also worth thinking about how you end them. I have a bundle of cables coming out of the wall. I kept them quite short in case I wanted a Plasma at some point rather than the DLP re-projector. Unfortunately the first DLP went phut & we are about to replace it with a Samsung 50 - for which the cables are about 20cm to short :( So, time for high quality extendors. An alternative could be flush face-plates and very short interconnects from them - I couldn't find one (or three) that had the range of connectors I wanted, but I wish I had persevered now as it would have been much neater (ok - no-one will see it, but i'll KNOW it's there)

Cheers

Greg

9. GTM-KEN

GTM-KEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tips guys....

One more question though!! When running the cables in the wall channels I know that the power cable should be kept well away from the signal cables, BUT can speaker cables be put in the same channel as my DVI cable??

Thanks

Ken

10. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i think so, as they are low power cables compaired to mains cables.. however its an good idea to keep the mains from the speaker cables as well.. ie mains on its own

11. GTM-KEN

GTM-KEN
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advise...

We got the keys to the house yesterday! And the front room is already gutted and planning has started for cable runs - plasma - speaker locations!!

If I can figure out how to post pictures ill keep updating photos....

C Ya

Ken

12. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    rather than cat 5 should he not use cat 6?