Help me fix my TV woes..

devs

Evening chaps, I'm looking for the best way to stream movies (mkv's, mos mpegs etc) around my house to a couple of different TVs. (bedroom / living room).

My current setup is as follows: MacBook pro / Power PC G5 / PS3 / NasDuo - Sony LCD / Panasonic Plasma.

My PS3 is in the living room and I have been dumping the files onto the NAS to watch and it works okay so long as the PS3 can play the format. If I want to watch anything in the bedroom via the Sony LCD I've been converting the files to mpeg1 and putting on a USB memory card. This proves problematic and doesn't always work. This can be frustrating after waiting for ages for the file to convert..

I'm looking for a better way of watching files on TVs I sure there must be a cost effective way to do this by now?

Any help would be great.

Cheers,

Devs. ;)

devs

ha funny mate totally agree about transcoding. Pain in the A$$.

Cool, I've never heard about these before. What one are you using and what one would you recommend?

Cheers for the help,

Devs. :)

devs

I've got a couple of questions about the WD TV Live Plus... Has anyone used the wifi connection on one of these via a USB adaptor? If so what was the speed like?

Would I need to buy two of these if I wanted to connect to two different TVs?

Thanks,

Devs.

planthead

Hi,, you will need a device at every tv,, to access your data,, i use the wd tv LIVE,, and recommend it,,,with modded firmware and OSD,, however recently, the stock firmware seems to have had a dose of steroids, and now has a host of useful features,, and enhancements...including dvd navigation ...which makes it even better, out of the box..

the wd tv acts as a nas,, for all file types and has changed the way we watch tv,, and the way we use of our PCs ..i

Wi fi is fine for sd stuff,, I have watched dvds on a netbook from the wd tv live,, but you need wired network or beefy homeplugs for the HD stuff to work,,

cheers...

planthead

wireless is n, the router is a d link 655,, I believe the wireless only is as fast as the slowest device,, we have loads connected,, so i don't really know ,, sorry

nacmacfeegle

Distinguished Member
I've got a couple of questions about the WD TV Live Plus... Has anyone used the wifi connection on one of these via a USB adaptor? If so what was the speed like?

Would I need to buy two of these if I wanted to connect to two different TVs?

Thanks,

Devs.

The Live Plus is the WDTV Live with built in access to US streaming services (Netflix, Hulu etc), so its pretty rare to see one on this side of the pond AFAIK.

You want to be researching the WDTV Live, or the WDTV Live Hub, which has just been unleashed on the UK.
These are small enough to be unplugged and moved about between tellys, and cheap enough to buy two if you prefer.

Personally, I'd use homeplugs over Wifi as Wifi can be a bit patchy for reliable streaming, and they are likely to be cheaper. You would need 3 plugs for two streamers. Look at 'AV rated' or 200mbps plugs. Or 2 plugs and move one with your streamer.
Running Cat5e is my preferred method of connecting though. You know where you stand with copper.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom