Help me fix my parents' TV - will only accept one of DVR and BD player

Quartz

Standard Member
I've been getting nowhere with this. My parents have a Panasonic Viera TX-32LDXD60A TV, a Humax HDR-2000T DVR, and a Panasonic DMP BD77 BD player and they won't play nicely together.

The TV is several years old, the BD player is 16 months old, and the DVR was a Christmas present.

I can get the TV to accept either the Humax or the BD player but not both.
If the Humax is connected, it must be on for the TV to get a UHF signal. The TV will not retune when the UHF passes through the Humax.
If a device is plugged into HDMI2 on the TV, then HDMI2 is displayed on the TV.

None of the devices are connected to a network

They all worked together when originally set up (by me) a month ago.

It seems to have started when the remote for the Humax ran out of power and we changed the batteries. Also, my father is senile and may have been pushing buttons.

I have, of course, tried switching everything off and on again.

So I turn to you for help.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
The HDR2000T is unable to passthrough the TV aerial when in sby. Simplest solution is fit an aerial splitter so that the box gets a separate feed to that going to the TV. A future software update may fix this problem.

Watching the Blu-ray or the Humax should simply be as simple as using the TV remote to select the appropriate HDMI socket to input signals from.

Quartz

Standard Member
The HDR2000T is unable to passthrough the TV aerial when in sby. Simplest solution is fit an aerial splitter so that the box gets a separate feed to that going to the TV. A future software update may fix this problem.

Thanks.

Watching the Blu-ray or the Humax should simply be as simple as using the TV remote to select the appropriate HDMI socket to input signals from.

Yes, it should be, but it's not working. I'm likely missing something obvious.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

Make sure the hdmi cables are firmly pushed home. If you connect one box at a time to the same hdmi socket can you see the picture ? Now try another socket does that work with both boxes ? Switch the hdmi cables, you may have a faulty cable.

Quartz

Standard Member
Each cable works individually. If I plug in the BD player on its own it works fine. If I plug in the DVR on its own it works fine. They just won't work together, when both HDMI cables are plugged in.

That the Humax won't pass-through UHF when off seems to me to be a fairly critical flaw and reason enough to take it back. Fortunately it was purchased from John Lewis.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

You are using the Tv remote and not the Humax?
On the Panasonic remote select AV on the top RHS and the up/down buttons to scroll and enter to select.

Quartz

Standard Member
You are using the Tv remote and not the Humax?

Yes.

On the Panasonic remote select AV on the top RHS and the up/down buttons to scroll and enter to select.

Yes. When I do this it skips HDMI 1 and goes straight from the DVB signal to HDMI 2

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
That normally means there isn't a signal on hdmi 1. Try a different hdmi cable (eg the one you use to currently connect to hdmi2)

Quartz

Standard Member
That normally means there isn't a signal on hdmi 1.

If I swap the cables then HDMI 1 is still blocked. But if there's only one cable and it's in HDMI 1 all is fine.

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
If I swap the cables then HDMI 1 is still blocked. But if there's only one cable and it's in HDMI 1 all is fine.

Check the TV setup menus to see if there is a hdmi port disable option for each port on the TV. On my TV you can switch off HDMI ports you aren't using.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom