1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me fit my screen!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by marcw, Jan 12, 2003.

1. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ayup!!!

Well, bought my Sony HS10 yesterday, and got swayed into buying a Draper Luma screen as well... 70 x 70, I decided 4:3 format was acceptable as it affords me a HUGE choice of drop from wherever I mount it, and I can then black out the rest that I'm not using as and when I decide to.

So, despite being told to the contrary by the salesman there isn't a lot in the way of mounting hardware included (that'll teach me!), and I'm somewhat excited and keen to get this thing up and running in one form or another. The destructions suggest eyelets screwed to the ceiling and hanging the screen from them with "S" hooks. Bleeurgh. Or screwed to the wall... I don't want to wall mount it unless I have to as then it goes above and behind my TV, not ideal... Any ideas how to mount this thing safely to my ceiling so I can drop it in front of my telly.

Please help!!!! I wanna watch LOTR 4 disc on this baby! I haven't seen the extended cut yet as I've been patiently awaiting this day...

2. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The brackets at the rear allow either wall or ceiling mounting.

The problem is if the ceiling joists mach the spacing on the brackets. If not (And 99 time out a 100 it will not) then get a piece of 2x2 timber and mount that first and then the screen to that

3. GlasgowGary

GlasgowGary
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And if you dont want to use a baton on the ceiling you could use 90 degree angle brackets (come in various sizes,colours etc)mounted to the ceiling.
    The best way to attach these is using Spring Toggles, toggles are like umbrellas, they go through the hole in the ceiling and then spring open (excellent fix).
    Then you can simple attach the screen bracket/housing to the brackets using either a nut & bolt or using S-Hooks as suggested before.

Gary

4. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies people, I like both those ideas, ... I'm a bit of a DIY nightmare so I'm getting Dad to come round and "help" me later!!! I'll let him decide which to go with.

I set the projector up this morning behind the sofa by cunning use of a footstool and the box the PJ came in!!! Very stylish I might add. Hey, if it works! Projecting onto my curtains, with light STREAMING into the room I can still see things pretty well... Looks good, just get the screen up and buy something a bit more permanent for the PJ and then I'm good to go!!! :D

Can't wait! I'll let you know which way we mount the screen, and whether it falls out of the ceiling or not!!! :eek:

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes i am the same. Point a drill at plaster and it all falls off :)

Good luck

BTW I used a speaker stand (Large telscopic from Argos) with a piece of wood attached for my PJ before I mounted it to the ceiling. Just a thought.

BTW the PJ is still on the ceiling as well :D

6. marcw

marcw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my old man to come round late yesterday afternoon. Screen fitted by 5pm, both sat down to admire the handywork and... WOW! Even Dad (who at first said he thought it was overkill in my house) was gobsmacked by the picture quality and size of the image!

Would've posted last night to let you know how I got on but, y'know, movies to watch and all that!!!

Anyway, we got heavy duty steel rawlplugs that open out inside the ceiling, then screwed in quite heavy 'L' brackets in on either side of the PJ with the bit flush to the ceiling pointing IN towards the centre of the screen instead of outwards - we figure it will help absorb some of the downforce and make a stronger mount (won't "flex" when you pull down). Then simply mount the screen to that. Looks well good, seems very sturdy.

Thanks so much for all your help,

Marc (a very happy HS10 owner!)

7. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guys,

Am I correct in understanding that you mounted directly to the plasterboard ceiling? You didn't specify what material the ceiling was made from.

The reason for asking this question is...I am getting a lot of request from my wife as to whether I can mount the centre speaker to the ceiling just in front of my Owl 8Ft electric screen. Now I have mounted the Owl screen to the Joists but there is no joist close enough to mount the centre speaker.

I am slightly worried that the weight of the speaker will take the ceiling down. However if you are able to mount a screen with those toggles and pull-it-down as well it should be allright...

Cheers,

Jean-Paul