Help me find a treadmill please

ash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will only turn into a clothes horse, like all the others all over the UK. Same for exercise bikes.

Just go outside for a walk or a jog and save some money.

Buy some decent trainers for 66% less and leave the house.

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/35-3350458eA68UC419255X.jpg

Something like to above. No idea where to look apart from Argos and John Lewis. And how much to spend. It is jsut for the family, so need something that is sturdy. Thinking to spend £300 maybe, or more?

This looked good at £300: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3350458/Trail/searchtext>TREADMILLS+.htm

:smashin:

What brands would you reccomend, or exact models. :)

Do not buy the cheap ones as this is one product you musn't skimp on ! ! !
I paid over £800 for mine and it has been a total joy and an excellent machine.
It has now served it's purpose and I am considering selling it, mine is the Life Fitness ST55.
Lots of the cheap stuff break motors or stretch the canvas or have terrible electronics(the display area) , you must also consider the weight it can handle and if it has incline ability and heart rate monitor, I have these all:smashin:

If you need more help PM me

treadmills are crap. Much better going out on a proper run. It is alot more of a challenge to run up and down real hills and who wants to run indoors on a nice spring or summer day? Not me. You will get fitter through road running.

The only reason to use a treadmill is to watch other fat people wobble.

I suppose it keeps it off the streets.

My waif and I never use the escalators.

They might break down and we could be there for hours! :rolleyes:

treadmills are crap. Much better going out on a proper run. It is alot more of a challenge to run up and down real hills and who wants to run indoors on a nice spring or summer day? Not me. You will get fitter through road running.

... and this word of advice from someone who steals a 10 minute train journey every day? Walk/bike it!

i think the reebok iRun was dropped to £299 at argos...mine arrives on friday.

Seriously guys go for a proper run. Theres nothing like running up hill with the wind in your face to get you fit. Besides that you get to look at totty.

i bought mine because I am bored of the rowing machine and want to vary the cardio. before doing my weights.

where did you order it from?

Come to my current place of employment. There's a cheap treadmill, if there ever was one ;)

(Bring back Music Hall!).

I understand what people are saying about a proper run being better, but some people do have circumstances in life that means that's not always possible (my wife goes out on runs, but has a treadmill at home for when I'm working away and she can't get somebody to mind the kids). Surely a treadmill is better than nothing.

Been thinking about getting one too. Would be so much more inclined to do it with a TV in front of it rather than going outside. Plus there would be no excuses when the weather is bad! Can anyone with a £300ish one comment on it? Cheers.

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/35-3350458eA68UC419255X.jpg

Something like to above. No idea where to look apart from Argos and John Lewis. And how much to spend. It is jsut for the family, so need something that is sturdy. Thinking to spend £300 maybe, or more?

This looked good at £300: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3350458/Trail/searchtext>TREADMILLS+.htm

:smashin:

What brands would you reccomend, or exact models. :)

My g/f has this running machine (she paid £499 and she's not happy with that price :thumbsdow such is life...). The width of the tread is narrow imho (ideal for a girl) but at 16inches wide you'll chafe :D

My g/f has this running machine (she paid £499 and she's not happy with that price :thumbsdow such is life...). The width of the tread is narrow imho (ideal for a girl) but at 16inches wide you'll chafe :D

Mm.. a bit worried. Argos have a 30-day money back gurantee so I could see if it is good enough first?

I don't have any experience of 'home' treadmills, but 16" sounds very narrow to run on, are they all that size?

Going from my experience with the treadmills at the gym (I don't run outside during winter due to some problems with my legs) you need a 15deg incline to simulate outdoor running.

Nearly all the effort to propel you forwards comes from your calves, whereas on a treadmill your calves barely get a workout unless you can add a decent incline into the equation.

Anything less than 10deg feels like running downhill to me.

All depends what you want out of the equipment at the end of the day, anything is better than nothing, so if you're not looking at a serious alternative to outdoor running, then I guess anything would probably do you. :)

How do you cope when running or cycling in a heated environment? The average centrally heated room would make a treadmill feel like running in the tropics. Forward motion through the air is what keeps you cool while running or cycling. The air passing your body carries away the excess heat and evaporates your sweat. I saw an outdoor demo under an open canopy and the motion cyclists were all bathed in sweat even on what was quite a cool day. You'd think large fans would be standard equipment on stationary exercise kit. :)

How do you cope when running or cycling in a heated environment? The average centrally heated room would make a treadmill feel like running in the tropics. Forward motion through the air is what keeps you cool while running or cycling. The air passing your body carries away the excess heat and evaporates your sweat. I saw an outdoor demo under an open canopy and the motion cyclists were all bathed in sweat even on what was quite a cool day. You'd think large fans would be standard equipment on stationary exercise kit. :)

My g/f has a 15" fan on full speed facing her and the back door open too - great for her, but cold for me!

Re: 16" width from above. I'm not sure if there all the same - she has the blue coloured Irun, not the White version from Argos. It has a 1.5hp motor which is good if I recall correctley.

Anything you can buy at Argos or JJB is really not worth bothering with!

Go for a Lifefitness one of Ebay for around £450 - £600 and you will get a decent gym quality reconditioned machine that will do a superb job. I have bee nusing one for 7 months and it certainly is doing the job!

Anything you can buy at Argos or JJB is really not worth bothering with!

Go for a Lifefitness one of Ebay for around £450 - £600 and you will get a decent gym quality reconditioned machine that will do a superb job. I have bee nusing one for 7 months and it certainly is doing the job!

Lifefitness are good but not as room friendly as are the iruns iirc lifefitness are huge :) - if you want a compact treadmill that can fold away you cant go wrong with the irun.

I would rather have a larger unit that actually worked!

Lifefitness are good but not as room friendly as are the iruns iirc lifefitness are huge :) - if you want a compact treadmill that can fold away you cant go wrong with the irun.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom