Help me find a replacement Screen (literally!)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Grangey., Jan 9, 2012.

1. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Hi all,

Well unfortunatley on reinstalling my projector screen in my new place, somehow the screen has developed creeses.

So anyway not to bore you with anything, I very simply need a screen to replace it like for like with one significant limitation.

The bottom of the screen can be no wider than about 241cm! The top can be without a problem, but the screen drops between my two speakers (and has to, cannot go behind) which are in turn directly against a wall.

I inherited this screen from my dad some years ago but I've no idea what brand it is and where it came from although I was lead to believe at the time this was a more "proper" screen than what you would find on ebay.

Anyway, looking for cheap replacements which will give me the same size picture (measured 106" last night when watching top gear on bbc hd).

The current screen does not have some fancy plastic bottom piece covering the wieghted poll and as a result it doesnt really overhang the screen much at all (id say the screen has a slight outward curve no more than about 1/2cm per side).

So the problem Im having as all the screens im seeing on amazon and ebay- the bar overhangs significantly. So although the width of the screen may be about 238cm, the bar and casing mean the total width is about 250cm!

My current screen I imagine is technically 4:3 but it has no black boarders as at all which gives me the flexibility but im not sure if my projector ever displays anything more than 16:9 so I may consider 16:9 screens

So, im trawling ebay currently but can anyone recommend other places to look for screens that I wont have this issue with?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  2. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Nobody? :(

3. BifferSpice

BifferSpice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i'm no expert mate, so there may be better answers, but have you looked into fixed screens rather than drop down? they're better quality, cheaper, and you wouldn't have the size problems

4. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Biffer its a perfectly logical answer however not an option as mine isnt a dedicated room nor to I have the space to accomodate a fixed screen and my 59" plasma.

Thanks
    Grangey

5. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,859
    You say you are trawling ebay, so I am guessing you are on a tight budget? What is it, so I can see of there are any recommendations for you.

6. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,042
    New 100" Electric HD Projection Screen Matt White 16:9 | eBay

The screen above is a 100" diagonal and the screen itself I would think allowing for the border would be about 231cm wide.The bottom bar only looks a bit wider so I would think within your 241cm width.You could always trim a bit of the bottom pole if necessary.

I would contact the seller to ask him the actual length, he has sold quite a few of his screens to av forum members and they seem reasonable quality bearing in mind the price.It is 16:9 and is an electric screen you did not say whether you wanted a manual pull down type or electric.

7. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +885
    Something has occured to me when searching and Id appreciate some input in this...

When I last measured the viewing size of the imagine on screen, I measured 106" (so kbfern youre right the 100" should fit, but I wouldnt want to downsize)....

But, first of all I cant remember the source type I was measuring, ie whether I measured a film with black bars and only measured the actual image part, or whether I measured a full visible picture or what.

So, this may sound silly, but bearing in mind my screen has no black borders and can roll down a massive amount (for stupendously high cielings I can only assume), how do I actually accurately measure my current screen size to make sure Im looking at like for like sizes?

To give you an idea on just how restricted I am this bad picture will give you an idea (excuse the mess, this was during getting it all setup and screen aligned (which it isnt in this picture))
    [​IMG]

My assuption would be I probably measured the picture size during the same broadcast I took this picture- which was an episode of top gear, and bottom corner to top corner of visible imagine would have been 106". So does this confirm this is a 106" screen or could I have measured it funny that would have thrown me out?

Thanks
    Grangey

Attached Files: