Help me find a PJ

Marky1973

Right, as much as I don't want to post a 'which of these is better' type thread as I know everyone has a different view on each projector, but I have been driving myself half-mad searching the web for information and trying to make a decision.

I have been trying to figure out what to go for out of the following 3 Optomas

HD720x - best I have seen is £398 on OYYY
HD700x - best at Dabs £399 with 55" screen
HD65x - best is £429 I think

The 700x is appealing because of the the screen. Although I want to get an 80" screen, I expect i could probably sell the 55inch cheaply and put the money towards a bigger screen. However, I am not sure whether or not the 65 or 720 are better PJs and whether they would prove better value for money regardless of the screens.

Again I know it is entirely subjective, but if anyone has any specific niggles with any of these projectors that would make them think twice in hindsight that would be great.

It would also be cool if anyone could let me know if they know of any better deals....perhaps with pull-up screens? Sounds like there were a few around before Christmas, but they seem to have all changed since then.

The wife has said I can get the PJ, so I need to move fast before she changes her mind! :D

Thanks in advance

cyberheater

For the extra 30 quid. I'd get the HD65. It's newer technology and the performance is better.

pjclark1

Novice Member
They are all pretty much the same, the HD65 is the newest with the latest technology.
You don't really need a screen, any wall, if not strongly coloured, will do.

Marky1973

Will need a screen as all my walls are black......actually I'm married so even thought they are matte cream, they are covered with pictures and mirrors, so don't think I have enough wall space.....well not without having to rewire the speaker arrangement which might not go down well.

One main difficulty is living in an area where there is little option for demoing stuff, the local Richer Sounds have the 720x and will price-match OYYY for £399, and I would much prefer to get from a physical retailer.

One of my main concerns is the Rainbow Effect, especially as I can't demo, so are any of these models less likely to show it up than the others in terms of their video processing/colour wheels/segment stuff?

I have read some stuff on here suggesting that the 720x is very similar to the HD70 (which is slightly out of my price bracket). As the HD70 is (I think) a slightly higher spec than the 65, where does that put the 720?

Richer sounds said they would do a 14 day return test period, so if it was a problem I guess I could take it back without the hassle of online retailers

pjclark1

Novice Member
I have read some stuff on here suggesting that the 720x is very similar to the HD70 (which is slightly out of my price bracket). As the HD70 is (I think) a slightly higher spec than the 65, where does that put the 720?

The 65 will most likely be the best of the 3, it's the newest.
Technology moves fast with PJs, what was sold at £3000 2 years ago will be considerably inferior to the £400 HD65. Comparing spec from 3 different generations of PJs just doesn't tell you much.

I suffered from rainbow effect, watch it for a few months and it's gone forever.

Marky1973

Okay, one more annoying question.....

overall, does anyone have any experience of more than one of these projectors? Will there be any great difference in picture quality between them? I can't seem to find full details on the colour wheels/segments of all these PJs - are they the same? Or is the HD65 likely to have the better picture, less risk of RBE?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom