1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me finalise receiver selection

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Daneel, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have got my speaker picks done and worked out where everything is to go and I've arrived back at the receiver, I thought I had decided on from the start.

I intended to go with the Marantz SR7300 (110wpc), but given my speaker selection i'm starting to think that the SR6300(100wpc) or SR5300(90wpc) may be a better match. The speakers are:

B&W DM602s3 fronts
    B&W DM601s3 rears
    B&W LCR 60 center
    Velodyne CHT-10 sub

The power handling for the fronts and center is up to 120W and 100W for the rear. I don't think I'm going to have much use for the video inputs on the SR7300. Is there likely to be much difference in the sound from each of them?

I don't want to spend money just for the sake of it. I want a good match with good sound. Give me your opinions please.

Thanks

2. Gomez

Gomez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Daneel,

nice speaker setup you've got! :D

Refering to the receiver, I have changed my opinion: Definitely go for the SR 7300!

Why? Because it has an adjustable turnover frequency, and the SR 6300 doesn't. With the SR 7300, you can chose between 80, 100 and 120 Hz, with the SR 6300, it's fixed to 100Hz.

Especially when you're listening to stereo music and you want the Velodyne to take over the lower frequencies, the setting of 100Hz is simply too high in my ears. The sub has to play up to 100Hz, and the 602s are cut off at that frequency.

The setting of 80Hz should provide a more balanced sound, the sub taking over at 80Hz isn't that notable any more as it would be with 100Hz.

The whole setup can be run at 80Hz, the LCR 60 and the 601s can reproduce these frequencies.

If I was you, I would spend the extra money in this case.

- Gomez