• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help me experts!!

kurt_ego

Standard Member
I have a Samsung Surround Sound System HT-AS710
see the amazon listing here Samsung Surround Sound System HT-AS710: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I have a ps3 and virgin v+ & a panasonic dmp-bt100eg

All have digital optical out - but amp only has two.

The amp doesnt support hdmi 1.4 and i want to use the 3d tv i have.

The tv itself has an optical out ( its a panasonic p50t20b) so my questions is how do i wire them up to get the most out of them, at the moment they are all wired into the tv and i have one optical out cable to my amp... what are the advantages/disadvatages of this or how else could i do it?

Kurt

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Have you actually bought the system? If not I would suggest getting something different as it will not get the best from your sources.
To get the best sound from your PS3 and bluray player is to connect via HDMI to a reciever (can not get HD audio from optical).
The issue with using the optical on the TV is that often TVs will not pass through a 5.1 signal from a HDMI input to their optical output hence you will not get full surround sound. Also some TVs do not pass any sound from the inputs to the optical output (only transmits sound from their internal tuner). You need to check what your TV does.
If you can not passthrough a surround sound signal then you could get an optical switch which would take multiple inputs and put to out output to your amp.

davepuma

Distinguished Member
You can sometimes get away with using an optical splitter (in reverse) providing only one source is active at once. Therefore they cannot work with TV's. The switch is the safer option.

Or, as you have found your way to the AV Receiver forum......bin that all-in-one and start again and get an AV Receiver and speakers with sufficient inputs and HDMI audio capability so you can get the best from bluray.

kurt_ego

Standard Member
Yeah i have had the receiver for a while and tho it had hdmi switch i don't think it supports 1.4 hdmi which I believe you need for 3d?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom