Help me diagnose the fault

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Grangey., Jan 9, 2012.

1. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Hi all,

Strange one here.

So, I have a GTX460 and I game on TV and Projector and full hd res. Now, I moved house about 6 months ago (before I left everything worked beutifully together) but it was only last night I got round to setting the projector up and I now have an odd fault.

This only applies to the projector;

Everything from a desktop perspective, works beutifully as expected. Blurays and DVDs are fine, xbmc display correctly, everything works- gaming however is another thing.

So, I tried 3 games last night with interesting results.

Sonic Generations- When I try to boot up I get my projector/amp click over as if the source has changes res or refresh rate (i dont think this happens when through the tv (also runs through the AVR)) and I just get a Baby blue screen- no game audio or anything. (NOTE- this is not a PC bluscreen- but a bluscreen from the projector/amp which would indicate something wrong with the signal somewhere).

Dirt 3: When I boot this up, it for some reason decides to start in windowed mode- which it doesnt on the TV. Try to put it into true full screen (using alt+enter) and I get audio- but either a blank or blu screen. Once again my projector indicates the refresh rate has changed by clicking in and out of modes. However, put it in Windowed full screen, the game plays fine and the projector can display it no problem- I get no GAME audio with this though (I can however put an mp3 on for example and the amp will play this with no problem.

Battlefield 3: Worked just as expected. It launches, full screen, full audio, faultless.

Now, at my old place I didnt own Dirt 3 or Sonic (nor BF3 for that matter), but the only thing that has been changed otherwise since moving that I can think of is the driver- however I cannot remember which driver I ran in the last place.

What have I tried?

I have tried disabling desktop compasion and that other desktop scaling for high DPI modes in the combatility properties of Dirt 3- made no changes. I also forced VSync for this via nvida control panel- again no difference.

Does anyone have any idea?

Its worth noting that I have seen the blue screen thing before some time ago so let me tell you a little about that-

When I first got the gtx460 it would not display at all on the projector, I would get this constant blue screen displayed regardless of what resolution the desktop was displayed at or refresh rate etc. Anyway, after some in depth technical discussions with NVidia it turned out to be some technical part of the driver at the time was conflicting with the PJ- it was something to do with colour like for example the driver was outputting deep colour and because my pj also increases this the two was conflicting. So they temporarily told me how to hack this but then corrected the issue completely in the next driver release.

So, can anyone suggest where to start?

Im thrown by the fact its not ALL games as a rule, but just some.

Its worth noting my PJ is capable of all the same (infact more) resultions and refresh rates than my TV and I have no issue at all on the TV (which again is not connected directly to the or anything, it is fed through the same AVR as the PJ).

Thanks for your input in advance :)

2. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,718
    I have a 460 and use it with my 1080p monitor, tv and 720p projector.

When switching to the tv or projector I sometime's get no signal signs when loading up certain game's, this was sometimes fixed by a wiggle of the micro usb adapter on the back of the system as it's not the ideal thing for them to have added on the card, and the picture come's back with no problem.

You haven't stated if you have tried a different hdmi lead, which I presume you are using, or if you have a switcher between them to try the projector dirtectly with one lead, even if it means just grabbing a short one and moving the pc closer for testing.

tris

3. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Sorry nero to be clearer my AVR has duel HDMI out. So 1 hdmi from the PC into the AVR, and the AVR goes to both TV and PJ.

For me its not worth forking out £30+ on another HDMI cable for the PJ though as this cant be a connection fault as its not really a "no signal" fault. Everything is there, its just these games as an example are clearly doing or causing some sort of compatibility issue to become apparent.... but nothing needs to be rebooted or anything, if i quit the games, the desktop returns so the connection isnt being lost or broken... :S

4. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,441
    I'd thought I had read in your HTPC thread that you had cracked this. Driver issue I thought......or have I got my wires crossed?

5. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    You had read correctly- if you read this abit further though you will see this is whats throwing me- its not a complete system issue at all like it was last time, this is now only comming from some (not all) games which is why Im so confused by it! the rest of the pc functions work perfectly! :facepalm:

6. Hillskill

Hillskill
    Moderator/Games Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,441
    Read it all the way now :D

Personally, When I had my my setup in a similar fashion to you I always used optical audio for games via my amp as I preferred the tweaking I could do in my Auzen drivers. For PC gaming I feel a dedicated card just gives you that higher level of customisation. This would atleast solve your audio issue. You can always switch back to HDMI audio for movies.
    In regard to the video I'll state the obvious and site some sort of handshake issue. Considering there is the amp in the mix aswell its alot of variables to troubleshoot. I'd be interested to shove an AMD card in a see if that displays the same problems.

7. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +873
    Okay just to annoy me that much more, turns out the game problem doesnt only happen with the PJ....

I fired up Crysis 2 earlier and had similar issues as above except no blue screen- at first it kept booting at a res of like 800x600 full screen and wouldnt give me audio- and basically the only time it would give me audio is in windowed mode.

I can see a wipe comming :(