Help me diagnose if this is a problem?

M

Mr Bigglesworth

With my new Pioneer 350, that I got from amazon a week ago.

Basically my tele (Panasonic - several years old now) has 1 rgb scart in(AV1), 1 other scart in (AV2 or AV2S), svideo, composite and L/R stereo in (AV3 or AV3S).

I'm wondering if the trouble I'm having is due to my tele or dvd player or what.

Basically since I got it I've been running it on RGB output into AV1.

I noticed a slight very intermittent fault (that has hasn't appeared few a few days) in that I occasionally get darkish greenish flashes. Also the volume would occasionally get cutting out and then getting quite loud, again only for an instant (over period of 1-2 secs) though and very intermittent.

Finally I consistently get some bad shading effects, especially on certain scenes (parts/bands of the screen go dark and when they clearly shouldn't; i.e. end up with top half a wall really dark, and the bottom half normal - but it fluctuating; sort of on and off).

Then I tried a svideo lead (AV3) and once got a dark flash a few days ago. But I don't get bad shading effect. and once I had a bit of a problem with the sound almost cutting out, again for an instant.

So I switched back to AV1, but not using RGB, just composite, and there is no bad shading effect.

If I make the Player output RGB, then I get the bad shading again.

I've tried 3 different scart leads btw when connecting to AV1.

So is this perhaps a problem with my Pioneer problematic in outputing RGB or perhaps my tv's ability to cope with RGB.

Problem is that I don't have another Scart TV to test it on, grr. And I'm so busy at the mo I don't really have all that much of a chance to test it extensively.

So can someone give me an opinion given some of you guys must have tons of experience in playing with your setups, or perhaps some other tests I could do to narrow it down?

Thanks v much!

I've now tried 2 itv digiboxes (Philips and Nokia) on rgb out to my AV1 socket and there was no bad shading effect. My only problem is that I'm not sure that these output proper quality RGB (if there is such a thing!)

Help!!

Originally posted by Mr Bigglesworth
Also the volume would occasionally get cutting out and then getting quite loud, again only for an instant (over period of 1-2 secs) though and very intermittent.

and once I had a bit of a problem with the sound almost cutting out, again for an instant.

That sounds normal. It's typical of DD5.1 played through a TV. On Sony DVD players you can "fix it" by turning off the Audio DRC in the player's menus. There's no option to do so with the Pioneer however, as far as I'm aware - it's permanently on.

Regarding your other problem - sounds like macrovision. You connecting the DVD player directly to the TV? If not, do so.

Yeah the sounds thing only happened once of twice and I'm not all that concerned over it, I think it might have well been the truesurround or something kicking in.

But the main trouble is the RGB thing with some wierd dark shading effect. The cable is going directly to tv (so can't be macrovision); I even had pretty much all other sources unplugged etc; and it is only when my dvd player outputs rgb to the tv's rgb capable AV scart socket.

I may be able to go round to my sisters and test it out on her tv actually tonight. I'll take the scart cables I was using and the player and if it persists then I can quite sure that its the player. If not it must just be something to do with my current TV's RGB socket - not a huge problem since the tv's a several years old and I should imagine I'll be getting a new one sometime next year.

Right done more testing -

Took it round to my sisters and tried it in the same place on my R1 Beautiful Mind disc that gives me bad shading on my tele - and it was fine on RGB mode; although the svideo was a bit orangy to start with, a bit of playing with the tv colour controls and it was fine.

So I came home, and the problem was still there when I tried it on my tele.

So I happened to pick up my R2 Swordfish off my sister and tried that because it was to hand - and it was fine on both RGB and Svideo.

Then tried R1 Fight Club, R2 Gladiator, R1 Terminator 2, R1 Independence Day and R4 Matrix.

The R2 and R4 were absolutely fine on any mode; but all the R1 had the dark shading problem at some point on the disc (usually scenes that are quite dark).

So the problem appears to only be RGB NTSC discs; and seeing as these were fine on my sisters tv; then I guess that means my tele is obviously having an issue with it.

(I have previously output DVDs from my computer to the tele, but I think the TVtool thing I have sends it as PAL or I was sending it to a different AV socket)

So does this seem like a reasonable/plausable diagnosis and can I assume my Pioneer player works fine?

Having same problems with a new panasonic widescreen Television and only when using region 1 disc with RGB region 2 is perfect which tends to suggest all panasonic TVs suffer from this problem and its strange how What Video & TV has not highlighted this problem as it is a major one, hmmmm they gettin backhanders to say the televisions are good when theyre not, it certainly makes u wonder

Originally posted by FoxyMulder
Having same problems with a new panasonic widescreen Television and only when using region 1 disc with RGB region 2 is perfect which tends to suggest all panasonic TVs suffer from this problem and its strange how What Video & TV has not highlighted this problem as it is a major one, hmmmm they gettin backhanders to say the televisions are good when theyre not, it certainly makes u wonder

Well that is reassuring, well the fact that its not just happening to me - obviously its far from reassuring that this could be a widerspread panasonic problem.:rolleyes:

Case closed for me then; just have to use s-video for R1 till i get my next tele.;)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom