Help me diagnose Foxsat-HDR fault.

cedmondson

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that this Humax is screwed & needs to go back under warranty....but if anyone has any ideas or suggestions for something I've missed, please let me know.

Foxsat-HDR is approx 5 months old. It worked perfectly at first, then I noticed that a high proportion of scheduled recordings were failing (perhaps 40%).
I noticed on the diagnostics page that signal strength on 'tuner 1' was showing 30% - so I swapped the two coax cables around to see if this moved the low strength imput to 'tuner 2'. It didn't.
I've confirmed there's nothing wrong with dish / LNB / cables by plugging another identical Humax box in. It sees no drop in signal strength on either channel and works perfectly.
Crucially doing a factory reset, the setup wizard fails to detect a satellite signal. Selecting 'Freesat Tune' from the menu also fails with a 'searching for satellite signal...' message for some minutes before it eventually gives up.
Running a 'manual tune' finds 300+ channels though whether there's a viewable signal seems a bit hit & miss.

At this point I'm stuck for ideas! Anything else to check before I hassle Amazon to replace or repair?

logiciel

You're much more patient than I would have been.
It would have been back to the supplier for replacement long ago!

REPASSAC

What signal level do you get on channel 999 (the freesat transponder) - a poor signal would explain your experience.

cedmondson

What signal level do you get on channel 999 (the freesat transponder) - a poor signal would explain your experience.

Since I did the factory reset, all I've got are manually tuned channels numbered 5001 and up. I don't see a freesat transponder channel at all.
I just tried to run a freesat tune again - doesn't find anything at all (and if it's relevant reports my postcode is invalid - which it isn't)

cedmondson

UPDATE: I guess I'd anticipated a tough time sending the unit back. Oddly Amazon give no info about how to return something that's developed a fault after it's been received. Anyway prompted by Logiciel's post I emailed them and I'm amazed (& of course pleased) that:-
a) They replied so swiftly (within an hour) to an email sent on a Saturday evening.
b) A replacement is already being shipped out first class to me.
All I need to do is get the old one back to them within 30 days for which they'll pay shipping. Nice one.

So I'm still a bit curious to get my head around where the fault lies... but it looks like the problem is getting sorted

logiciel

That's Amazon's normal way of doing things but it's certainly impressive that they did it at that time and so quickly. :thumbsup: to them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom