Help me design new media room!

verti89

Standard Member
My wife and I are about to have a new house built that will include a dedicated media room, and I am trying to gather ideas. Generally speaking my goal is to have the room pre-wired to my dream setup, knowing that it will take time to actually get all the pieces together.

Details:
Room will be 17'6" x 11', and upstairs with the other bedrooms.
Potentially two closet sized nooks along one of the 17' walls

Dream setup:
Have nooks built as full on closets. I am thinking all my components will be in one of these closets, and having an A/C vent routed to the bottom of the closet such that it can blow cold air in, then having some sort of attic vent type deal to allow the hot air to go out. (I really wanted to do a water cooling system but apparently that's not feasible) The necessary wiring would go through the walls to either the wall for a TV or the Ceiling for a projector (or mayyyybe both?). I am thinking 2 HDMI, Cat5, IR Relay, Component, and then just an unused conduit place holder for future technology. I will have it pre-wired for 7.2.

Am I missing anything wiring-wise, and does anyone else have experience using an IR relay system to control hidden components?

For the screen in a dedicated media room with projector, the electronic ones seem nice and fancy, but in all actuality the screen will get enough use that it would be down most or all of the time, so probably not worth it for electric.

I was also thinking about asking the builder to insulate the interior walls of this room to provide some degree of sound proofing. Has anyone done this and if so, were the results noticeable? We have young kids so I don't want my movies waking them up late at night, and then vice-versa as they get older.

Again my goal here is to get as much preparation done during the building process as i can, so if you have ideas on what else I can consider, by all means, let me hear them!

jagdeepp

Banned
Again my goal here is to get as much preparation done during the building process as i can, so if you have ideas on what else I can consider, by all means, let me hear them!
Quite simple really.. To prepare you've got to do your own research. The constructions threads are vast. I spent months and months on here reading thread after thread before even working on a first draft. I'd suggest you do the same. We all stand on the shoulders of giants so seek inspiration from what you find and get started. Once started keep us updated.

Quick hint, if you click on rating you could see those projects ranked highest, always a good start.

verti89

Standard Member
i agree, and have been doing my own research as well, just thought i would see what other things i might not be considering. thanks for the tip on the ranking btw.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom