1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Me Decide

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Rockin_Amigo14, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iPod is beyond dead. I need help deciding. I don't want to get an NW-HD5 because of the high price tag. I've narrowed my choices between these:

Rio Karma

Toshiba Gigabeat 20GB

iRiver H10 20GB

any suggestions?

2. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Karma. Bigger, bulkier, but best of the bunch.

3. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Isn't the hardware a bit dodgy on the karma though? Heard loads of faults with the hard drive. Other than that, supposedly a decent bit of kit.

iRiver h10 is ok, the hard drive is quite slow on the 5gb version but not sure if it's the same on the 20gb one. Toshiba has navigation issues at the moment and it's the same price as the HD5? Sounding like a broken record on these forums but why have you eliminated the Zen touch/sleek, I know they are not the greatest looking players but the touch is cheap as hell and is a very good player.

If your that fussed eliminating the HD5 for an extra £20-£30, why? I plumped for the HD5, received it today and it seems pretty damn good other than the USB cover being a piece of crap. I cannot believe the harsh deal Sonicstage has been gettin either, I thought it was ridiculously easy to use...pretty fast too.

4. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm located in the US, so £20-£30 is a bit more since the dollar is worth squat. I've definitely considered it though, but there are cheaper ones, I'm just seeing if I can get one that's decent.

5. Rockin_Amigo14

Rockin_Amigo14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    after reading some user reviews, it's now between the iRiver and the Toshiba.

6. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,222
    Errr I've seen amazon.co.uk selling the Toshiba + HD5 for similar prices

Oh, I advise you to google for forum reviews and user discussions. Personnal experience has told me thats more helpful than site reviews

7. DantheMan

DantheMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Between those two, I'd go for the iRiver. I was happy enough with my 5gb H10 other than the capacity of the 5gb. Like I say, it was a bit sluggish but nothing that serious. Very easy to use, pretty good sound quality and feature packed. Never used the fm tuner personally and the photo option is a bit of a waste of time due to the size of the screen in my opinion.

8. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here, here!!

9. schrum

schrum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your worried about the cost. look on ebay for people selling new/unopened nw-hd3 for half the price of the hd5.

10. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Rio Karma without a shadow of a doubt !!
    Superb sound superb software and with decent phones nothing touches it !!
    Touch wood no problems with mine ................yet.