1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide which size Samsung LExxR41BD to get

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Eiji, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I'm going to order a Samsung LExxR41BD anytime soon now (from Waratah.co.uk. Are they ok?) and I'm in a pinch about whether I should get the 26" model or 32" model.

Will the 32" model have a much softer image than the 26" version since it is at the same resolution but larger screen?

My view distance will be 6ft 5" as the set will be placed in a bedroom for gaming (GC, XBOX, PS2 and soon X360) and DVD movies.

I'm currently viewing my living room tv, a 28" Sony CRT set at a view distance of 8ft and I find that acceptable for regular programming but for gaming I find it to be a bit far :D

Just how much of a image quality difference will there be watching a 26" LCD set at 6ft or a 32" LCD set at 6ft? Will the 26" sets picture look much more sharper and high-res while the 32" sets picture will look noticeably softer?

Help me out in this decision :thumbsup:

2. MrHat

MrHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    26 inch version which i currently have is a fantastic Set and the Picture is very sharp and clear, Now i also have seen the 26 and 32 upto 40 inch sizes next to each other in a local Showroom and can happilly say the 26 inch is Optimal for Picture clarity/resolution for 4-6ft from what i saw, the larger screens are notably softer because of the increasing size the panel vs the pixel size.

I'd recommend the 26 inch if you a Video nut, but then if you are intending on viewing from say further than 6ft then the larger screen may suit you better (if Screen quality isnt an issue for you) :)

3. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Does the 32" look as sharp as the 26" when viewed from a distance of about 8ft or would it always look softer in comparison to the 26" model regardless of distance?

I'm really in a pickle as to which size LCD to get and I need help to make my mind up quick as I will soon be placing an order for the LCD :thumbsup:

4. Stoise

Stoise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I need to find this out too, Im in a very similar situation.

5. T0rNaDo

T0rNaDo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    i think you both need to take a trip to your local currys/ comet etc shop and test both screens at a set distance and see what you think...

6. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I might just do that. Managed to squeeze out the view distance to 6ft 5" with plenty of ventilation for the LCD when I get it so when I go down to Curry's etc I'm going to keep a view distance of 6ft 5" in mind.

7. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    go 32"?
    I have the 26" option and wish I had gone for the extra. That is from about 4 foot. But then I think bigger is better.
    I brought my set from waratah and was very pleased with the service and price. (next day delivery after holding their last one for the weekend free of charge / deposit).

8. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Did you order by telephone or internet from Waratah and what is their return policy?

9. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    If you really want a 32", but are concerned the Samsung might not cut it, then you'd be right, and better off looking at the JVC DS6 or Sharp GA6.
    Had a Sharp GD1 - very impressive. Got a Samsung R41 to play with - so far, not a patch on the Sharp, although that particular model had more tweaks than you could shake a stick at.
    Even so, the RF section of the Sharp is noticeably better - I imagine that's still the case with the new GD7 and GA6.

10. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    In what way did the Sharp look better than the Samsung?

Did it have better colour reproduction and response times or something?

11. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    LOL, that's the exact distance i'll be way from my new LCD (when I eventually get it)

26" just looks too small, though I accept that viewing anything but great images on a 32" set at that distance might show up a few nasties.

On the other hand, could save a few pounds by getting a 26" screen then putting it in the bedroom when I get a bigger place :rolleyes:

Take a piece of string (or a tape measure, I am!) when you visit Currys :thumbsup:

12. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Better balance between highlights and lowlights, white purity, less granular, and better text displayed from the DVD recorder connected, although it was Sharp's own rather than my partner's warranty replacement JVC DR-M10B. So, not exactly like for like in that regard.
    But, based on memory (5-6 weeks ago) the Sharp just had a better look to the image. More real, believable, lifelike, than the Samsung's - thus far.
    Give me a few more days to play with it and watch some DVDs, and I'll be able to confirm or amend my initial impressions.

Bear in mind, the Sharp was my first foray into LCD TVs, and coming from an excellent Nokia 4:3 28" CRT, it wasn't until I'd had 3-4 days of constant usage under my belt that I felt the Sharp was perfectly acceptable and that I could live with it for however long it took before another technology or HD showed it was no longer able to cut the mustard.

I've had the Nokia 10+ years now, I could easily and happily live with the Sharp for a similar timeframe, if circumstances dictated, and I wouldn't be wishing my life away. That's how much it impressed me. So, I dread to think what'll happen when I get the Loewe to play with, considering it's the Daddy, apparently.

13. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The 32" is awesome - I was watching the HD demo of Robots 22 inches away from the Screen!!!!! And was kissing goodbye to cinema at the same time :)

It really does rock!