Help me decide which screen to get before I go mad!!

scoobie dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Im new to all these HD tv's out there and I really dont know what to get. I would like to get a size 46"+

Quite like the look of the Samsungs as the styling is really nice. Not sure what to go for though.

Also is plasma not worth getting anymore now, as it seems to me that there is more LCD' s out there now? The Samsung Bordeaux PS50Q97HDX 50" can be had for £800 del but is this now classed as old tech now?

I quite like the look of the upcoming Samsung 7 series, although im not sure how much these are going to be, £1500 perhaps? One feature I like with it is the usb fuction so I can plug in my flash drive with movies and play them direct through that. Does any other panel feature this??

If anyone can help me out here it would be most appreciated!

:)

your in the same boat as me. However I checked out Samsung's new range and I was not impressed (especially for the asking price) Sony Bravia, nice , but Sony (paying for the name, plus customer care, the worst) Now Sharp and Panasonic look to be bring some quality stuff...then I hear good things from Philips and Toshiba:confused: Let me know if you find anything cool..

I am also in a similar position and i just cant decide whether to go plasma or LCD, im thinking LCD because isn't Plasma going down the drain? I am mainly going to be watching blue ray and freesat HD so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking to be getting a 46" but not sure which.

I will be running the TV trough a media centre with blue ray drive and a HD sat card.

So needs to display still pictures very well (not sure whether this is relevant)

Thanks

for actual picture quality the best plasma still give better pictures than the best LCD I wouldn't touch Philips, Sony are poor samsung are decent VFM but for PQ you need check out Panasonic and Pioneer plasmas.

Hi could you possible say which Plasma from Pioneer or Panasonic would be worth checking out 42" or possibly higher? The distance from wall to seating will be 3 Meters. Plasma Burning is this still and issue? and what advantages would Plasma have over a LCD?

Are there any distinct advantages of plasma, because the burning issue i would assume will be pretty evident if it is going to eb showing a still image for example a Media Centre desktop for a long period of time.

Also is there any distinct models that you would advise if you were going to buy a LCD, i have heard about the Toshiba TZ series, but im not too sure about other makes.

Thanks

46PZ85 is a nice unit, there are lots of models out there screen burn is over hyped, abuse any display and you will damage it, CRT are more prone to burn than Plasmas thats why screensavers were invented! Image retention is an issue for LCD and plasma.

The biggest difference between LCD and plasma is IME the cinematic quality of the image Plasma is far more natural than LCD

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom