Help me decide which broadband provider!

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by bigkingy, May 1, 2007.

1. bigkingy

bigkingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Hi everyone.

At the moment I am on AOL platinum at £29.99 a month. It works fine for Xbox live, ps3 and wii. However, I am trying to cut down on costs, and to me it seems
    expensive. Could anyone give me any advice? I am leaning toward BT broadband- the cheapest option is £8.99 for the first six months, it is up to 8 MB
    but the limit is 5 GB per month- I have no idea if this is enough. I probably use the net for 4 hours per day, as well as an hour or two on Xbox live or PSN. I dont download music or movies, but do download the occasional demo from xbox live or PS store.Also will I be able to use my netgear wireless router DG834G easily enough with BT? Finally, the other option is to downgrade to AOL silver. This would be simpler as its already all set up and still unlimited usage, but capped at 2 MB. Would I notice a big difference with, for example, lag in Pro evo etc?

Any advice would be much appreciated!:)

2. Anotherlimey

Anotherlimey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +930
    Sky have something like 16 meg at 10 quid i think, I guess the speed is not reliable but whats new?

3. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,367
    16Mb if you are on the new exchanges, but only 1% ever get max speed. Someone else posted his anger about BTInternet expecting 8Mb. You only get that if you are within shouting distance of the local telephone exchange, at 3 cable miles out only expect 2 - 2.5M.

4. Fen Star

Fen Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I'm with BT didn't get on with their home hub and now use a Netgear router, i told them and they were fine about it...So home hub asside i have to say the actual broadband service is excellent, in 18 months it's been down for 5 min's in all that time

so i would recommend the service....:smashin:

5. Mark Botwright

Mark Botwright
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,341
    I'm with Orange/Wannadoo/whatever they're called and my time on Live (albeit only the months free trial) was lag free at 2 meg. Having said that, customer services have been a joke and from Friday to Monday it was......slow.........as...........hell!:(
    Fine now though.

6. bananacat

bananacat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    i had an orange router and it kept droppin out all the time!! so i bought a D-link router and its all good now, still using orange as provider tho, so there not all that bad its just the router that sucks!!!

7. jason g

jason g
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,784
    im on aol platinum and like the o.p. im looking to lower the costs, im waiting to get skys mid package when it reaches us.
    8 meg, 40 gig a month for 5 quid a month.
    better than 30 quid a month im paying now.

8. dimmockg

dimmockg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I was in a similar situation and went for TalkTalk in the end, IIRC it costs £21 per month, which includes line rental and Broadband, the speed is up to 8mbps with a 40g monthly limit.

In all honesty (i maybe one of the lucky ones) i haven't had any problems at all with TalkTalk. So far from me they get the thumbs up :thumbsup:

The only thing you may need to get is a router, as TalkTalk don't provide one

9. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    I just come away from bt as it kept cutting out all the time and gone with pipex max.
    I had to buy my own router and get the first two months for free

It's £27.49 pm up to 8mb connection and includes all my local and national call for free 24/7

tris

10. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I've been with Bulldog (now owned by Pipex) for the last year and have never had one single issue with them. No connection issues, no (apparent) bandwidth throttling and their Customer Service are really quite good.

I pay around £20 p/m for 8MB Unlimited, although due to BT not updating the phone lines in my street I only get 2.2MB. It's good enough though as I never get lag on Xbox Live and any stuff I download is usually quite quick. I do download quite a lot of stuff the absence of a usage cap is a big bonus too as I've been in trouble with BT before for doubling my 40GB monthly usage limit (I used to share a flat so it's easily done when you consider uploads count towards the limit too).

My contract actually expired last week and after looking at the current deals form other providers I reckon I'm happy to stay with Bulldog. To be honest I'm struggling to find a bad thing to say about them, and that's a quite rare for me as I'm a picky, cynical moaner most of the time!

11. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    You can use anything on BT, Netgear, Homehub, whatever.

Been using them for a many years and always had a great service.

Not the cheapest, but they are very reliable

12. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    I am with Demon, you provide your equipment or they send you a usb modem.(Mine was in 6 weeks!) and its been all good ever since. Live is fine, just got myself a new router and its a big difference! :smashin:

Also have a few friends on BT and they have no issues, it just seems that its down to your own personal options. How far? How good your telphone line is and so on?

But you know you like it that way!

13. bigkingy

bigkingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Thanks very much for all of your suggestions so far.Very helpful! :thumbsup:

Please keep any of your thoughts coming:D

14. -Hitman-

-Hitman-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,112
    I've heard by a lot of friends and through online reading that BE online is the best at the moment and do unlimited 24mb download for £24.99.

I have have just stopped my BT broadband due to the common problem of the BT crapHUB cutting out every 2 minutes, but most of all the rubbish service BT provide and their rip off pricing and billing.

Signed up with BE and the service has been nothing but outstanding with plenty of emails telling me what is happening and what to expect.

Got my new speedtouch modem from them yesturday as promised via email.

Due to be switched on the 4th may and looking forward to it!

DO NOT GO WITH BT BROADBAND!:mad:

15. ShadowmanUK

ShadowmanUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    BT Broadband did pretty well in the Watchdog polls ;)

If you want to get feedback on them all head over to www.thinkbroadband.com

Remember you'll hear good and bad about them all but think is a good place to get a good idea on them all.

16. fatfingers73

fatfingers73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I've been with BeThere for over a year now, the perfect ISP. :smashin:

17. dazza1011

dazza1011

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    im on BT and ( touch wood ) not had any problem with service,
    it does the job for me and is fine on XBox live i also download quite a lot.

i must admit the hub does jam up sometimes and when it updates the hub it sets my NAT to strict or moderate for live but unplug it and plug it back in at it is fine.

shadowman is right it really is a case of swings and roundabout i know someone who has sky and he says it's better than his previous bulldog so good and bad in everything:)

the thing is you will never get a definitive answer, i would just bite the bullet and go for what you feel is adequate for you, if you do go for BT have a look on the internet to see what you can get free when you sign up i know they were giving free 360 wireless adaptors away a bit ago and also i think £50 DAB vouchers