Help me decide which 32" LCD to get

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Eiji, Nov 7, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Ok, so I've been looking at and researching LCDs for a couple of months now.

I want to get a 32" for the bedroom in time for my Xbox360 on the 2nd of December :thumbsup: but I also have a PS2, Xbox and GameCube, all with component cables and NTSC games so 480i and 480p/60Hz performance is imperative to me.

I've managed to narrow it down to these after lengthy researching and thread reading :lesson:

[​IMG]
    JVC LT32DS6 - 7ms - £998

[​IMG]
    Toshiba 32WLT58 - 10ms - 2x HDMI - £1079

[​IMG]
    Panasonic TX32LXD52 - 14ms - £1065

The Panasonic is £64 more at the current prices at the time of posting and lacks a VGA (D-Sub) input for connecting a PC to it but maybe I could use a DVI to HDMI cable for that.

As for the outer appearance, I'd have to say the JVC looks slightly better than the Panasonic.

I have read that the Panasonic has better PQ than the JVC and handles analogue signals/freeview and motion better too. According to the specs though, the JVC has a higher contrast ratio, 1000:1 compared to the Panasonic's 800:1.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the two side by side with analogue and hi-def sources and come to a conclusion as to which one gives off a better picture?

How good is the RGB SCART picture on the Panasonic? I will mostly be using component and soon after the HDMI socket.

Help me decide before my mind tears into two :rotfl: :(

2. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +565
    thats a tough one but id say the jvc because its nicer looking set and has jvcs d.i.s.t scailing system which really helps bring out the detail in the pictures.

3. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Added in the Toshiba 32WLT58 to the mix. I've seen the 37WLT58 showing a HD feed at Comet and it looked stunning so no doubt the 32" model performs just as well!

Has a nice feature set, especially the 2x HDMI but IMO looks cosmetically inferior to the Panny and JVC.

Not reason enough though for me to exclude the Toshiba from my shortlist :lesson:

4. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Anyone else want to chip in with their opinion? :thumbsup:

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,652
    Well if you're talking about motion blur surely the JVC wins with its 7ms response?

6. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    The problem is, each manufacturer uses different types of methods to measure the response rate.

Take LG for instance, they measure their response rates from Grey to Grey, Sharp measure theirs from black to white (more honest measurement) and I'm not sure how JVC measure their panel response rates but it surely can't be from black to white.

7. alan_t

alan_t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    looking at them pictures above, i'd say the tosh looks the best.

8. J.Glen

J.Glen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The panasonic is the best model as far as picture quality goes and that's what matters the most ,not which set looks better.Believe me when you buy your LCD and get used to it the last thing that you'll worry about is how the tv looks.

9. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    I may just go for the Toshiba because it has:

• 2x HDMI sockets
    • Free floor stand
    • 1:1 pixel mapping from PC VGA connection at 1360x768 resolution

The JVC has problems with dark scenes and shades of grey being indistinguishable from each other and the Panasonic doesn't have a VGA input.

This thread has helped me with my decision somewhat:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262465

10. stealingthunder

stealingthunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to go for the Sony KDLV32a12 - read the entire 80 message thread on it and checked out the picture quality - reckon it's the best and nicest looking - best price 1403 from Gultronics