Question Help me decide what to do with this room?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Gerry557, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Moved into this property and looking now to update my older tech in this lounge/Multimedia room. The size is 4.9m x 4.2m (15'11" x 13'11") with a ceiling height of 2.44m (8’)

Ideally I would like my improvement to include projector and large screen, Atmos maybe although Ive not actually heard it in action and will probably improve most of the tech as its either dated (no atmos in amp) Broken (large TV wont show a picture, FHD no 4k) currently using a 32” and the HTPC has no sound after the move, again no 4K.

The main thing to sort out is the layout ie where to put the large screen/pj and then the TV. Followed by speakers and seating positions. The room is south facing so is quite bright (no curtains, they also took the pole! so too bright to watch tv on a sunny day) it has a blind but not blackout.

Secondly the window covers the most of the outside wall and a fireplace sits in the middle of another. The French doors to the dining room could be blocked off and the final wall is fairly clear with just the entrance door in the corner and seems to be the logical place to sit, see pictures, although we have two 3 seater sofas to place.

My thoughts include bricking up the French doors, which is the shorter of the wall sizes and using that wall for the screens with the TV on the wall and maybe the PJ screen dropping down in front but concerned with reflections from the window. Seating layout could be L shaped with the main viewing seating with your back across the window. Alternatively in parallel (cosier to chat) but blocks the fire but keeps window viewing free. I could even drag into a V across the window for movies if necessary.

We could get rid of the dated gas fire and or reduce the fireplace in size (more costs) but this will probably mean rear speakers sitting flat at the side of a sofa. Ideally I don’t want to use the corners to place the TV and need to plan any wiring at the beginning of the project so as to keep the wife happy with how it will all look when finished.

Everything is going to be a compromise one way or another just trying to maximise any potential and looking to take ideas, experiences or advice from you all

The actual tech updates will follow or be added to new threads in the appropriate categories. Thanks in advance! So Help me decide what to do with this room? lounge french door.jpg lounge wondow.jpg

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Room - if this is a multi purpose room the layout will be quite different to a 'Cinema' room. Work out how you want to use the room and the most natural seating layout and then work the AV system around that.

Projection - if you want to achieve anything close to what any projector can achieve image wise you require controlled lighting in the room.

Window - you could have blackout blinds plus a drop down screen in front of it for Movie Nights.

TV - with the cost of larger screens dropping rapidly possibly you don't require a Projection system and go with an 'over sized' TV over a horizontal living gas fire instead.

Joe

3. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks Joe for the reply, it has to function as a lounge as well as my multimedia room unfortunately. I liked the idea of the big screen over the window and it also allows the speakers to be behind you rather than at the side if the sofa is in a back wall. However I still have the problem of positioning the TV. I wont really fit in front of the window.

Im willing to move/change the fireplace but again that leaves me with rear side speakers although reading @Dodgexander excellent guides might help with the screen distance issues.

So Im almost talking myself into blocking up the french doors and putting both the TV and PJ screen on there. The PJ was to get the biggest screen going, I doubt that even a 75" TV would have the same effect as a very large PJ screen, maybe Im wrong.

I think blackouts or some form of light filtering will have to make up for any issues with the window being opposite and brightness issues and maybe writing all this down makes you realise what subconsciously you probably knew.

The Mrs is also considering a third sofa so as to have U shaped seating and likes the ribbon fireplace idea. Just need to work out some watching angles now and maybe contact a couple of installers

Thanks once again

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,530
    You'll never match the immersion from a projector with a TV and usually with TVs its not possible for many people to view close enough to take advantage of the extra detail with UHD.

But I would say think about what your sources are going to be before deciding, projectors in particular are in a transition phase at the moment between FHD and UHD and HDR hasn't really made it to projectors yet either.

To get a projector that supports accepting a HDR signal, does a good job with an UHD one too is going to cost a lot of money. For example this well reviewed JVC will only give you better colours with HDR, not high enough brightness...and HDR is all about brightness.

So what are your sources going to be? If you want the latest and greatest UHD Blu-Rays with HDR, you will be better off sticking with a large TV like the Sony 75XE9405. You won't get the same immersion as a large projector of course but you will a lot more brightness from HDR, an anti reflective screen which will mean you don't have to worry so much about ambient lighting.

Many people have had a set up with a higher end PJ for movies and a TV for general viewing but now if you want to keep up to date with the latest and greatest you need to do things the other way round...unless you have over £35,000 to spend that is.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    The seating layout/position of the fire (assuming you keep one) is going to be key to keeping the Room multi-purpose - once you have those details tied down you can look at the practicalities of the most appropriate AV system for that Layout.

Projectors are great but do then bring into play a load of new practicalities - which way do your ceiling beams run, are you OK with the projector on your ceiling, how do you place your Loudspeakers for both TV and Projector viewing, the fire...

Spend plenty time on the Layout and design phase.

Joe

6. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

7. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Oops! Second attempt.
    Thanks @Dodgexander, looking at your guides I was looking at the sony 65 XE9005 but wondered if the angles might not be great. It could be 40 degrees to the seating at the front ends of any U shaped seating. How do I find out about anti reflective screens? I like that idea.

I was thinking along the same lines downgrade the tv and put extra into the PJ but looking at potential seating the bottom of the U would be some 4m, so to take advantage of UHD I need 100" TV!. For UHD even putting the TV as in the room picture above, it is over the distance for a 65" TV. I suppose I have to decide if I really need UHD and or HDR.

I suppose I wanted to allow for that before doing any work on the room. The seating will also decide on atmos speaker locations and its not something that can be moved easily once installed. I considered downgrading the TV to a 55" Hisense but as you point out PJ have issues.

Maybe I have to decide between uhd or hdr and reverse my decision and downgrade the PJ and get a better HDR tv like the one you mention and just stick with FHD, which currently is most of my movies.

Currently I have DVD/Bluray stored on the HTPC and assumed I would be following the tech upgrades in time and expected to go to UHD/4K/atmos as that is the way things are moving.

maybe I need to put UHD/4K/atmos into priority order ..... another thread maybe!

8. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joe this is turning out to be a lot more difficult than first thought, If only it was a dedicated cinema room! Happy to have a PJ on the ceiling but thinking more and more that it might be worth asking an AV installer to help decide on a way forward, a call to Richersounds or the like to get the most potential without breaking the bank.

9. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,530
    I would look at the Sony 75XE9405, it has a good balance between value, screen size and HDR performance.

Anti reflective screen filters are put on most higher end TVs, even an OLED like the LG B7 would cope with reflections very well.

10. Gerry557

Gerry557

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A quick update on progress, if you can call it that. I have blocked off the French doors and it looks like the screen or screens will go on/against this wall.

I did a comparison with 65 v 75 screen sizes in cardboard and there was only marginal difference. Even going with the bigger screen and potential viewing differences I am unlikely to see the 4k benefit unless I sit closer for the 75 or even more closer for the 65. (See pics)

So have opted for the Sony 65 XE9305 over the XE9005 for the better HDR which I am likely to make more use of.

Speakers and positioning to come next. Oh and we have fitted blackout curtain liners and split the curtains into x4 so can have some daylight and block out some of the window as required during the bright days if required.

Thanks for all the advice on this and the myriad of other threads on this site which are full of most of my questions and answers even if I dont always follow some of it

Attached Files:

11. wiremite

wiremite
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mt.jpg mt2.jpg
    I went to the Dollar store and spent $8 on building what I call a MovieTent. I bought a roll of gardener weed deterrent, some cup hooks and curtain clips for drapes. I then simply attached the hooks at both sides of the screen and in front. The whole process to create this was less than an hour. I can put the movietent up in about 2 minutes, same for bringing it down. I also use clips and the weed deterrent material along the bottom of the screen and place some on the floor to cover the white carpet in front of the screen. My patent pro thought the idea should be patented but I like prior art and open source.

The screen is in my south facing room with full patio doors along the right side. I do close the blinds but as the images show the results are amazing. Of course you can go get the black velvet material at greater cost and weight. Great for movie nights, watching Westworld, Billions and the Expanse with brothers, son and friends. All impressed what a difference this makes.