Help me decide until friday - Marantz SR6200 or Sony STR-DB1080?

A

arnthelene

Hello!

Can you help me to decide? I can't decide myself. I know that the Marantz SR6200 is a very good receiver. I read a very good review on the Sony STR-DB1080 in Home Cinema Choice. The features looks very promesing....

I will pay £100 less for the Sony in Norway.

I would be very grateful for answers.....

Arnt
Norway

well I was lookintg at this AMP and and found a site with the new 300 series on, after an e mail this was there reply.

Hi Daren
Thanks for your enquiry - we can get the new receivers for you at the
following prices , which include carriage. Delivery would be about 5 working
days.
SR5300 £305
SR6300 £475
SR7300 £560
Regards

so it might be better to wait, I cant find all the specs out but people say they are much better that the 200 series.

Thanks

Darren

What website was this? £305 for the SR5300?!

When do they get the new models?

Mac

I demoed 1080 and 5200 together and went for 1080 as I felt there was nothing in it and I prefered the remote, the design and the build. Also, I felt the Sony was better in movies. One thing I have noticed is that it needs time to warm up before it sounds it's best. I have noticed inconstancies and have pinned this down to how long it's been on. For instance, CD's sound much better after watching a movie at good volume. Maybe my DVD player has the same problem though so not sure which it is. I never noticed it with my 940 mind so I guess it's the amp. I have heard the same about Marantz amps too.

S

Just got my DB1080 from Robert Whyte for 359.99

I haven't had much time with it, but I feel it is well built, the remote is good and it sounds very good as well. On surround decoding i feel it gives better separation and balance in surround effects than my old amp a DB925

I personally feel that the Sony receivers gives you very good value for money. And with favorable reviews I went for the 1080.
Search the forum and there is a tread on 1080 reviews with scans from the review in one of the Home Cinema mags.
4 out of 5 stars, but it got 5 on the ones that are important to me.

I have seen the DB1080 at Techtronics for 329.00 but as RobertWhyte is just down the road i got it from there.

Good luck with your choice

Kenneth

Can you program the remote?

Can it learn IR from other remotes?

Thank you again

No you cant learn other remotes.

Various other manufactuers devices are allready in it.

I don't use the remote as i use my sony clie.

Mac

Haven't really tested it yet ;)
Been to busy with that lovely 6.1 channel sound

But I listend briefly to a MD of a DJ set that a friend of mine did, and with that music (soulful house) it sounded very good. A notch above my old 925 on the preferral scale.

Some say that the Sonys lack warmth. But, I feel that it truly captivates what has been recorded, and plays it very true to the original material.

Kenneth

Kenneth,

The link did not work, but thanks anyway.
The Sony seems to have more features than the Marantz, but there again I know more about the Marantz, just wondering how come the Sony is so cheap!

Its does have Neo/Matrix/discrete doesn't it?

Mac

The link works now i think

But in regards to your question
Yes the Sony has everything on the market. Except that 7.1 system that the Lexicons have

And it does not have the party mode you can find on some amps where all the speakers output the same stereo sound

Kenneth

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom