• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

help me decide please

phatspider

I'm nearly there - narrowed my choices down to :

Sony KLD40V2000
Toshiba 42WLT66
Panasonic TH42PX600

Can get them all for roughly same price. So which, and why? I will be using freeview, and xbox 360. May get Sky+ but won't get HD yet. Will get PS3 when its out

Panasonic looked superior in the shop on SD signal.

Should I be concerned that the Pan is lower res then the Sony (which is l;ower than the Tosh)

Thanks in advance

james_uk9

phatspider said:

Sony KLD40V2000
Toshiba 42WLT66
Panasonic TH42PX600

Can get them all for roughly same price. So which, and why? I will be using freeview, and xbox 360. May get Sky+ but won't get HD yet. Will get PS3 when its out

Should I be concerned that the Pan is lower res then the Sony (which is l;ower than the Tosh)

Thanks in advance

The panny would look superior on SD as plasma wins over LCD every time for SD broadcasts.
Seeing that your main use is freeview and sky +, I wouldnt go anywhere near LCD. (well i wouldnt go near LCD for any reason) remember tho you asked in a plasma forum so I am biased.:D

CFC1

Distinguished Member
phatspider said:

The Sony and Toshiba are LCD'S aren't they?, and the Panasonic is a Plasma. It is therefore like comparing chalk and cheese as far as resolution is concerned. It's not relevent.

phatspider

CFC1 said:
The Sony and Toshiba are LCD'S aren't they?, and the Panasonic is a Plasma. It is therefore like comparing chalk and cheese as far as resolution is concerned. It's not relevent.

Thanks - thats the sort of answer i wanted. I know a little bit but thats it.

Is the Panny future proof enough if say in a years time i wanna stick a 1080i signal through it from a Sky HD box??? What about a PS3??

Think i'm leaning towards the Panny - just becase of its SD performance. I can get it at 1700 from Dixons - with discount codes i get 5% off then 11% cashback through my Egg card. So works out about £1441 - thats the PED version. Should I be looking anywhere else for a better deal (Maybe a JL Price Match so I can get the 5 year warranty?)

Meeten

phatspider said:

Sony KLD40V2000
Toshiba 42WLT66
Panasonic TH42PX600

Thanks in advance

These are the 3 choices that I have as well - but it is down to 2 now.
Had a look on the Tosh 42WLT66 board, and there are LOADS of people having probs with that model .... and it appears that Tosh are accepting that there is a fault, and offering returns/ refunds. I think that it is the best asthetically looking (my own opinion), but the poor feedback that is apparent rules that out for me.

Been to have a look at the Panny and the Sony, and each has it's merits ... the decision is difficult!!

awesome pic on the Sony (with HD feed) / only one HDMI
X60 much better value, difficult ot see extra ££ on X600

(aware that this is posted in the plasma section, so thought may be somewhat bias) :rolleyes:

TarMoo

I was in John Lewis Bluewater on Saturday. They has their usual array on plasma and LCD screens on show. The Sony V2000 was showing "Hips don't Lie" Shakira video from "The Hits" Sky channel. The pixellation was very bad on all the movement - a really awful picture. In contrast the plasmas looked very good including Panasonic PX60 and Hitachi 9700.

I'm sure LCDs look good when fed a HD source, but they can look really bad given a standard definition TV source in comparison with a good plasma picture from the same feed.

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Phatspider: I think you have arrived at the right choice. :)
The Panasonic is the way to go. If you can get the PX600 for that price, you will be silly to let it go. £1441 - That's PX60 money!:eek:

It is only recently out, and is well specced, so is as futureproof as it can be, and yes, it will take your prospective PS3, no prob.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom