1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide? Panasonic TV

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nokiauk, Sep 20, 2005.

1. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    As per a previous post my Daewoo Plasma has died and destined for Silicon Heaven or the Dump!

Therefore my retailer has given me £1,500 to spend on a replcement and I have decided I want a Panasonic TV either Plasma or LCD. I've narrowed the choice to the following:

Plasma: TH37PE50 or TH42PE50

The 37" is within budget at £1,500 and comes with a free DVD Recorder I would have to pay and additional £300 to get the 42" version. Both these screens get a good write up but of course are not HD Ready neither having the right resolution or HDMI conectors.

LCD: TX32LXD50 or TX32LXD500

Like the look of both of these and both have hi-def screens. Would the lack of HDMI on the 50 model be a real problem as it still has component inputs? The 500 model is £300 more and not sure if it's worth it. Have also seen advertised the TX32LXD52 model which is apparently the same as the 50 but has HDMI.

Very confused size isn't a issue really as I have a small room, just not sure whether Hi-Def screens/connectors make much difference at this stage in time but would also like to get the best possible spec for my money.

:lease:

2. theoneandonly

theoneandonly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It really does and its not £300 more expensive dixons/currys are doing it for £1347!!!!

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your retailer's plasma prices are a bit high too!

37PE50 - £1110 delivered inc wall bracket & DVD recorder
    42PE50 - £1330 delivered inc wall bracket & DVD recorder

If he can't repair or replace the Daewoo under warranty, then you are entitled to a full refund.

4. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    retailer is powerhouse, and they are willing to give me money to replace the daewoo which is valued at £1500.

i unfortunatly need to buy again at powerhouses prices which is the one's i quoted. i appreciate they are a bit on the high side, but don't think i have much choice.

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I were you I'd write a letter and politely ask for a £1300 partial refund instead of the £1500 'voucher', as you are entitled to.

That way you can quietly walk away with £200-300 pounds saved...

6. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    try and haggle, see if they'll be nice enough to do a price match or something, its always worth a shot

7. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And dont let em talk you into another Daewoo lol

8. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Daewoo is definitely off the menu! Hopefully never get one of those again, will know to visit this forum first.

Have decided to future proof myself a bit and also because i'm moving house in a few weeks and room isn't as wide have opted to downsize and get the Panasonic TX32LXD500. Think I've managed a good deal as well as I've got the above model plus a 1+4 (5 year) warranty for effectively £1,500.

It arrives in 2 weeks so will be drooling over pictures till then, just hope I made the right decision by not getting a 37" or another 42".

9. Peabo

Peabo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about a PWD8? That's high def ready as you can add an HDMI or DVi card, and is probably even better than the PE50, but cheaper!

10. knobbs

knobbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ive got a pe37 and although its a great panel, pic wise-surely with hi def around the corner, its gotta be a hi def panel you buy.

11. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Had my TX32LXD500 installed on Monday - it is very very very good. I too have a small lounge and the 32" definitely looks fine. I was worried that it may be a bit too small but once - in situ - it looks tremendous. PQ is excellent and if you have got a DVD player with an HDMI connection then prepare to be amazed whilst watching movies. I've just started rewatching my dvd collection as the differences that you can spot are unbelievable. The LXD500 really does rule. :smashin:

12. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    yes had thought of hdmi equipped player but not sure if panasonic produce one at the moment?

or if any other hdmi players are recommended let me know

13. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hear thats on hell of a good LCD tv Woody and if I hadnt bought the Plasma version I definately would have gone for it

14. Woodywizz

Woodywizz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,479
    Lionheart - yes its a good panel; the picture quality thro' Sky is great - even the uneducated Mrs Woody said that the picture looked clearer. Have a look at how it looks in situ at :

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246393

Nokia(?) - the DVD player with HDMI connection that I'm using is the Denon 3910 - highly recommended

15. nokiauk

nokiauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    thanks but the Denon is a bit of of my budget at the moment