Help me decide! Oppo UHD-203 or Panny UB700

sraper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am finally planning on buying a 4k player.

I have already pre-ordered the panny off Amazon as just over £310 seemed a bargain!

However i have a Sony 79" 4k tv which does WGC but not HDR.

In this case which might be the better player. The ub700 or the oppo?

Will i need an HD Fury (to strip out hdr) with either of these?

If the oppo does not need the HD Fury then the extra cost might be worth it! Especially if they release at £499 rather than £599

There is really no "better UHD player" video wise... i got two different UHD players and the differences between them are pretty small.
Audio is a different beast: if you send the audio to an AV for decoding there will be no difference, if you use the 7.1 analogs to legacy ampli there will be a difference... we know for sure that the panny gotta very good DACs, we suppose that the Oppo will have too... they will sound differently in any case...

The Panasonic is built like all the Panasonics BD players in the last years... not bad, but not super either...
The Oppo will be built like a tank with maniacal attention to everything...

I will buy an Oppo... but don't expect huge differences audio/video wise in the digital domain...

You will not need and HD Fury for SDR... unless you need SDR/WCG... that is with both players...

Audio wise straight to my av reciever via hdmi so dont care about analog outs.

Video wise i do believe the theory that if using hdmi should be a bit for bit copy of whats on the disc. However it seems many players like to do some extra processing so 10bits gets converted to 12 and chroma processing issues seem to problems with the panny ub900 and so i assume the ub700.

Is the oppo likely to do better on this and more importantly will it allow wgc without hdr as all current players fallback to rec709 if you turn off hdr.

No one knows if the Oppo will be better than the Pana in SDR conversion... usually Pana players are quite good in video reproduction... but only few people have seen the Oppo so far... so is all "talking, talking, talking"...

From my personal testings, it looks that some kind of DNR (that you can't turn off) is applied in the Sammy player but not in the Pana (or derivatives like the Philips)...
But it is a very light effect first reported on american forums, and you have to look for it to see it...
So it could also be autosuggestion... :)

No one knows about the Oppo... as no one got one...

No one knows about the Oppo... as no one got one...

Arghh. Not helping[emoji3]

Seems like oppo could do to get some review samples out so that these questions can be answered before the panny comes out!

I really don't think that the Pana 700 will be a mistake... unless you have personal preferences on the Oppo, you will have a cheaper player with very solid video and audio performances in the digital domain...
If your fear is DNR, the only player on the market to avoid is the Sammy; i can see the effect playing the same scenes of "The Martian Extended" and "Mad Max" side by side... on the Sammy and the Philips...
SDR conversion is also pretty bad on the Sammy...

The pana gotta less DNR and better SDR...

The Oppo picture quality? No one will know for a couple of months; but i don't expect a night and day difference from the Pana...

If it helps the Panasonic store in Leicester don't think they are seeing the UB700 until 3rd November.

The Panasonic has a fan, the Oppo doesn't.
That's enough reason for me to get an OPPO (PQ being the same).
Unless that is the Panasonic fan is totally silent?

For the OP configuration i think that the Pana 700, will be an excellent, cheaper, option...

But due to my personal likings i will buy the oppo as soon as it is out.

The Panasonic has a fan, the Oppo doesn't.
That's enough reason for me to get an OPPO (PQ being the same).
Unless that is the Panasonic fan is totally silent?
Thankfully it will be kept out of sight so sound from fan and even looks are not that important.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom