Help me decide on which Plasma to get for my lounge.

Zildjian285

Novice Member
Hi everyone.

I need a new TV for my lounge because our current old Toshiba CRT is about to die and we are planning to modernise the room, so a big, old, CRT will not look right.

I have been reading various reviews and had a look in Currys at the weekend to get some idea's, but I am still really undecided on which TV to buy.

The TV will be used mainly for SKY TV, movies (some blueray played through a PS3) and maybe a small amount of PS3 gaming. From what I have read, plasma's seem to be the best for SD, and the Plasma TH-42PX80 seems to get excellent reviews and comments on here.
In currys I didn't see many Plasma TV's for some reason, so couldn't compare them to LCD's...

I have just checked the viewing distance of our current TV and it is between 9ft - 14ft, so I am guessing a 42" should be pretty nice at that distance? It's hard to tell when looking at the TV's in the shop.

The budget is up to £850, but could stretch to £900 if it's worth it.

I would like the TV to be as future proof as possible for that budget and I am unsure whether to go for 720p or 1080p. If 1080p will come in useful, and if it will future proof the TV a bit more, I would be willing to pay the extra over the 720p, but would apprectiate your view on this...

So to sum it all up;

Size of TV; 37" - 42"
Budget; Up to £900 max
Viewing distance; 9ft - 14ft
Useage; Mostly SKY TV, films (including blueray), some PS3 gaming.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Astraeus

The Panasonic TH42PX80 is widely regarded as the best TV at that price and can be had for £680 with a 5-year warranty if you get John Lewis to pricematch Sound & Vision in Bolton. The 1080p/720p argument is open to debate with many saying that 42" is where you begin to notice the difference from normal viewing distances - from 9-14ft, you'll likely not notice a difference.

audiphile76

I have just checked the viewing distance of our current TV and it is between 9ft - 14ft, so I am guessing a 42" should be pretty nice at that distance? It's hard to tell when looking at the TV's in the shop.

At 9-10 feet viewing distance 42" is ok and 42PX80 to be precise choise :thumbsup: but if the viewing distance is around 12-14 feet, i would propose 50 inch.

I would like the TV to be as future proof as possible for that budget and I am unsure whether to go for 720p or 1080p. If 1080p will come in useful, and if it will future proof the TV a bit more, I would be willing to pay the extra over the 720p, but would apprectiate your view on this...

So to sum it all up;

Size of TV; 37" - 42"
Budget; Up to £900 max

At this distance for you to notice any benefits with 1080p, you should get a 60" and upwards FullHD plasma

rewerb

Novice Member
Size of TV; 37" - 42"
Budget; Up to £900 max

Got to be 42". At 9ft away you might see a difference with a 1080 panel, depends on how good your eyesight is. Only you can tell.

The Panny TH42PZ80 (1080p) just meets your budget, or the PX80 (720p) as already mentioned

Zildjian285

Novice Member
Thanks for the replies.

I think at the moment the Panny TH-42PX80B certainly looks the best value for money and it will save me some £££ to buy a nice TV cabinet.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom