1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me decide on which big screen option

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by crawf1982, Apr 8, 2003.

1. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have been doing lots of research here and on other similar forums. I want to turn my lounge into a more functional entertainment centre and I need some advice on which screen to buy.

I need a display that will allow me to use the following equipment in the following ways:

NTL Digital cable - regular tv viewing - this will be the source probably 60% of the time.

Sony DVP-C650D DVD Jukebox - this will be the source of most of the movies I watch.

PC (modified Compaq Evo) - this is a very important part of the system but I will not be using it as an HCPC very much. I am more interested in being able to surf the net on a huge screen in my lounge. I also use it as my video editing PC and would love to be able to do this on a huge screen.

So those are my needs. Below is the equipment I have considered with some pros and cons:

Pioneer PDP-433MXE Plasma - Convenient. Good resolution. Good connectivity. Expensive for the size.

Panasonic AE-300 Projector - Excellent connectivity. Massive screen for the price. Perhaps not high enough resolution for the PC applications?

Sony HS10 Projector - Great resolution. OK connectivity. Huge screen for the price.

Initially I had decided on the plasma. Since then I have started (for the first time ever) to consider a projector as the display. I have no experience with projectors so am still a little hesitant about the idea. My main concern is the lamp hours issue. Can you simply replace a projector bulb every so often? Can I do it myself? How much are new ones roughly? How often do you need to clean a projector? Are they reliable enough for everyday use from multiple sources?

The projector route is certainly a cheaper option than the plasma plus I get a bigger screen out of the deal. Any experiences/comments/suggestions on which display would be best for my purposes would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

2. Anders_UK

Anders_UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Projector route for definite!!

Cheap to maintain, and pretty stable unless you go CRT route. Bulbs are a simple plug and play unit - average is around 2000 hrs before changing.

Multiple sources is a bit sketchy, sure they all have auto sourcing and the right connectors but most can't save archives so if your inputs need tweaking which your PC one will interms of start times and total pixels etc.. then you will have to do it everytime unless you can live with the autodetected settings.

But projector definatley!

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Crawf1982,

You should take into account that projectors are unlikely to perform at their best unless you have fairly effective light control - near-blackout conditions; you should also take into account accomodating a fixed or pull-down screen in your lounge, and how you are going to locate the projector, as well as seating arrangements - I don't find it a practical proposition for surfing the net, although I'm sure others do. As for bulb life - this varies 2000 to 5000 hours - you should make an estimate of you likely usage and check replacement prices - £300 - £400 is not a bad estimate. The big screen is a definite plus, but careful factoring of conditions is to be advised.

Nathan,

More silliness, as opposed to anything constructive or useful to say............. Don't you have some homework to do ??

Sean G.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No sense of humour, typical.

6. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the replies guys. I have considered the logistics of putting a projector in my lounge and they are very favourable. In terms of lighting, the room can be made pitch black during the day and I will soon be installing an IR light switch that I can control from my Pronto :)

The projector route is certainly looking more inviting. I have read some other posts that strongly advise the Sony unit over the Panasonic in terms of PC use which is very important for me.

I would be interested to hear from any Sony HS10 users, especially their experiences on using multiple sources and switching between them.

Cheers,

Dave

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HS10 owner here :clap:

The HS10's res is a must for PC use. 1:1 mapping is relatively easily achieved via DVI - nice :smashin:

Re: component switching, the HS10 has (in effect) 2x S-video inputs, 2x Component inputs, composite & DVI.

An av amp with video switching will switch S-video (or even component) & something like the Denon 3803 will upscale all sources (composite, s-video etc.) & output via component.

So just one connection from PC to PJ (DVI) & one connection between receiver (3803) component, has everything covered.

Hope this answers some questions.

:smoke:

8. crawf1982

crawf1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bloody hell!!!

Kramer, until now I had'nt even considered upgrading my receiver but the Denon 3803 makes my Sony STR-DB930 look like an oversized paperweight!

Wow - for use with a projector this unit looks like the mutt's nuts. It has functionality that I had'nt even realised existed.

I have a few questions for you though as my knowledge of surround sound stops at 5.1 DD and DTS.

Where do speakers 6 and 7 go?

When inputting a stereo source can the receiver output decent (e.g. not pseudo/3D/spatial/pretend) surround sound from all 5/6/7 speakers?

Video upscaling – does s-video to component produce a better picture than composite to component? Does the Pioneer 2011 unit support video upscaling in the same way?

I have never really used the full AV compatibilities of my Sony, but if the Denon becomes part of my new home cinema its full usefulness will definitely be exploited.

Right, I’m off to see if the budget will stretch to include a £700 receiver, 1 (or 2?) extra Kef Eggs and associated cabling :)

9. tonytigerrr

tonytigerrr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kramer,

Quick question. Is there any advantage in the amp upscaling from s-video to component? As I understood it (and I may be wrong) s-video is a more compressed signal than RGB/component - therefore information has already been lost (and cant be recovered) by the the time the s-video or composite signal reaches the amp.

So, what can the upscaling process achieve other than providing a different way to connect to the PJ???

Cheers,
    Tony.

PS
    Feel free to put me straight on this as I'm a relative newcomer