Question Help me decide on receiver

yakshemash

Standard Member
Hi, planning to buy new speakers (oberon 7) but not sure which av receiver to pair them with. Im new to this. Music is more important to me than video, in case I have to pick one.

My usage : 50% music, 35% movies/series, 15% gaming.
Sources: PC, PS4. Also have some vinyl and some cds.
Room setup: 25m², square shape. 5.1 is good enough for me.
Current system: Logitech z906 for 5.1 (pc connected), and a separate old crappy stereo/tuner system.
I listen to different genres if that matters.
Budget for AVR: I was thinking 600/700€? can be stretched if needed.

Narrowed down to x2700h, SR5014 or RXV6A. Those are around 600-700€, and cover my needs.
Is this (price range) good enough? Or do I need to step it up?

What do you think? Thx!

Last edited:

Russ_64

Jamie

Distinguished Member
Would 2.0 or 2.1 perhaps be a better choice? If music is the main priority then a proper stereo amp is invariably better.

You mention Oberon 7 which are the flooratanders, does that mean you only have the main speakers so far?

yakshemash

Standard Member
Would 2.0 or 2.1 perhaps be a better choice? If music is the main priority then a proper stereo amp is invariably better.

You mention Oberon 7 which are the flooratanders, does that mean you only have the main speakers so far?

I was planning to either start with just the floorstanders or buy the full 5.1 oberon set. Im used to 5.1, so im not sure 2.1 will be enough for me.

gibbsy

The Marantz will certainly be better for music than the Denon, almost certainly the Yamaha would be as well. The Marantz also has a full set of pre-outs and the Yamaha front pre-outs. With a 50% music usage I would not entertain an AV amp for the job, a comparable stereo amp is simply so much better. At least with both the Marantz and the Yamaha you could add a stereo amp with HT by-pass into the system for your music sources in the future.

yakshemash

Standard Member
The Marantz will certainly be better for music than the Denon, almost certainly the Yamaha would be as well. The Marantz also has a full set of pre-outs and the Yamaha front pre-outs. With a 50% music usage I would not entertain an AV amp for the job, a comparable stereo amp is simply so much better. At least with both the Marantz and the Yamaha you could add a stereo amp with HT by-pass into the system for your music sources in the future.

Hmm interesting...

I might be mistaken, but it seems like the 2700 does have a pre out?
1609257106521.png

Jamie

Distinguished Member
That picture is just for a sub and a zone 2.
The Denon 3700 does have pre outs
Screenshot_20201229_155824.jpg

gibbsy

I might be mistaken, but it seems like the 2700 does have a pre out?
1609257106521.png
No Zone 2 and a sub woofer only. The first model in the Denon line up to have pre-outs is the X3700.

gibbsy

Marantz have a different process by using their HDAM circuitry that improves performance with stereo music. I own a high end Denon AV amp and it's pretty much rubbish at stereo music and cannot even begin to compete with an integrated stereo amp. A Marantz may be better when compared to other AV amps in the same price bracket but it's still in a category that I would call poor.

Denon would be the last make that I would look at when music is mentioned. It's odd because as a movie performer the Denon's are extremely good. I also own a Denon SACD player that is superb, but oh dear for music their receivers are not up to scratch.

yakshemash

Standard Member
The thing is, if I should decide to take the stereo amplifier route instead of AVR, I dont know if I even can? How would I connect my pc to the stereo amp?

PC optical is occupied by 5.1 system (in the living room)
PC HDMI is occupied by TV (living room)
PC line out is occupied by pc 2.1 system (pc room)

So I thought, get an AVR, and connect everything into that, and have 1 system instead of 2...
(Ive got a separate old crappy stereo/tuner system too in the living room)
So I could have a 5.1 system that can double as a 2.0/2.1 too.

But if AVR sound quality generally isnt good like you say I might need to rethink this...

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom