Help me decide on headphones please

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by leezers, Oct 25, 2017.

1. leezers

leezers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, looking for some advice.

I’m nearly finished my home cinema, unfortunately it’s next door to our baby’s room so at night me and the Mrs would like to use headphones to watch movies ect. So here are my options and wondered what you lot recommend

My projector has Bluetooth so I have found a couple BT sets that have audio share ports where you can link 2 pairs together with aux cable to listen to same audio. Not sure how sound would be over Bluetooth, or taking audio directly from PJ

Pretty similar, I have found some wireless RF TV headphones which can be linked with another pair for same audio, same again I’ve read there is some audio issues

Lastly, I have an LG 5.1 surround sound set up which doesn’t have jack so I was gonna use wired headphones into the rca ports with a splitter for using two sets of wired headphones.

All above preferably over ear for a better experience.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

2. leezers

leezers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? Lol

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    If it was me I'd go with the freedom of using wireless headphones, no wires to get caught on door handles etc and Bluetooth rather than RF.
    RF can be hissy as you go out of range whereas you just lose the sound completely with Bluetooth.
    I doubt you'd notice any difference sound quality-wise between Bluetooth or wired directly from your PJ...the only thing you need to be aware of using Bluetooth is latency where due to the transmitter/receiver processing the sound may be slightly out of sync with the picture so look for a low latency Bluetooth transmitter if you decide to go down the route of taking the audio out from your LG surround setup.
    Also, your LG may have a variable audio delay setting which you can adjust to get rid of latency.
    7Dayshop and Amazon have a good selection of Bluetooth transmitters/receivers but read the user reviews first.

As for recommendations for particular headphones, it's really a personal thing due to us all having different sized/shaped heads etc.
    Find a shop with a good range (John Lewis, Currys etc) and try them for fit/comfort.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  4. leezers

leezers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for reply man!

I’m up for wire free but to get both sets hooked up to same audio they need connected by an aux cable! So I’d be tethered to my wife lol

Would the sound be better going wired into the 5.1 or no difference as audio is still coming from pj either way?

5. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    What’s the model no of the LG surround system?

6. leezers

leezers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It’s the LG HT503PH

7. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    In that case you need to take the audio direct from your PJ as your LG system has no RCA audio outputs. Those RCA phono sockets on the rear are inputs not outputs, it has a composite video out via an RCA phono to go to a TV but in common with most systems they assume you'll be using the speakers for audio and don't provide audio out connections.
    Just bear in mind you may need to add a headphone amp with two outputs to the audio out from the PJ as it may not be loud enough and no control over volume.

8. leezers

leezers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm ok I’m lost now lol

I have ran a rca red/white from pj ready to plug into LG when I set them up? Is this right?

Then if I’ve done that, there’s no way of plugging headphones into LG?

9. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
  10. leezers

leezers
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,614
    Yes.
    BTW brand/model of your PJ?

12. malkyvich

malkyvich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Old thrad but in regards to headphones the best I have found are the V Moda crossfade M100. Great warranty, amazing build quality, customizable and, most importantly, really good sound.
    The bass sounds nice when listening to music and have also used them when gaming (before getting a set of HyperX Cloud Alphas)

13. MusicWorks

MusicWorks
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Of coursee it would depend on the budget and quality you require.

Headphones can be open or closed: open headphones allow for some natural sound to mix with the content you are listening on your phones. Closed headphones offer isolation, which might not be needed in a controlled Home Cinema / Hi-Fi environment. Semi-open alternatives also exist.

The second factor to consider is which type of design: in-ear headphones have great fidelity at the expense of comfort -they are painful after a while. Over the head phones are usually the best option in terms of balancing wearability and quality.

Also important is the IMPEDANCE of the phones, which should match the impedance of the equipment you will be connecting them to. For example, mobiles phones and other low voltage electronics require very low impedance phones (in the 4-32 ohm range) whereas amps with more juice at the output could easily drive 250ohm to 600ohm phones.

A mismatch of impedance will give too much/too little gain on the phones, as they are not driving them properly.

My advice: AKG designs are nice, Sony should be avoided. Beyerdynamic probably the best option nowadats, something in the 770-880 range -or the high end 990 of course. These are knows as "studio" headphones but are available in different impedances so they are certainly useful for you situation as well.

And remember...you ears are always right. Try to give them a test run before deciding, specs on paper mean nothing if in the end your ears tell you it doesn't sound right. Some people like to have more bass, some prefer a more "clinical" uncoloured sound...studio phones will usually have a flat response -which is mostly good, unless you want extended bass.

Best,
    - MusicWorks