Question Help me decide on a new Monitor

Xavier1

Established Member
Reaction score
In my eyes your looking at it the wrong way around ,
what i mean is , if your going to upgrade you GPU soon , you need to decided what GPU you want to get now !,
if you want a nvidia GPU then get the G-sync monitor , or AMD GPU then get the free-sync one
i gather you know nvidia works best with G-sync , and AMD works better free-sync

have you got an idea want GPU you want ?

I understand what you are saying but the way I was looking at it was that at present the monitor would have been a more tangible upgrade given that my present monitor is a Dell U2412M. I use the PC for mainly browsing and media playing and a little gaming so that GPU could have waited. In addition the GPU market at present is hugely inflated with little or no value. That said as I write this I noticed some movement in relation to NVidia Cards that the prices may be coming down in the very near future.

Also overnight the price of the Acer Predator has gone from £750 back up to £950 at Scan :mad: It can still be bought on Amazon for £780.

Maybe if the GPU's come down I'll buy first and then wait for monitor.

Being honest my head is minced thinking about all the options. :confused:

i wouldn't touch anything but a dell.

have you read about all the quality control issues the other makes have?

people having to send back their monitor 5 times before they get one with acceptable bleed, banding or panel issues.

buy dell and you won't regret it. buy acer or asus, etc then expect to return it several times before you get one you can live with. even then it won't be perfect.

dell should be perfect. yes they cost more but there is a good reason why.

Just to counter the above - I have an Acer Gsync monitor and have had no issues at all with it.

Just to counter the above - I have an Acer Gsync monitor and have had no issues at all with it.
Me too, never had to send it back because of light bleed or anything else , had it for about one half years now .

I understand what you are saying but the way I was looking at it was that at present the monitor would have been a more tangible upgrade given that my present monitor is a Dell U2412M. I use the PC for mainly browsing and media playing and a little gaming so that GPU could have waited. In addition the GPU market at present is hugely inflated with little or no value. That said as I write this I noticed some movement in relation to NVidia Cards that the prices may be coming down in the very near future.

Also overnight the price of the Acer Predator has gone from £750 back up to £950 at Scan :mad: It can still be bought on Amazon for £780.

Maybe if the GPU's come down I'll buy first and then wait for monitor.

Being honest my head is minced thinking about all the options. :confused:

If gaming isn't the main use then it seems strange to pick one of the highest end gaming monitors on the market. You lose an input with the G-Sync version if that matters to you but that aside it's the same panel with or without the G-Sync hardware (plus the input and USB hub difference). If you are set on it and they're of similar price then go G-Sync. I've not used a G-Sync monitor personally but from people who have they like it and wouldn't go back after using one but if you've not used one before then you don't really miss it.

Ignore the rubbish below though.

people having to send back their monitor 5 times before they get one with acceptable bleed, banding or panel issues.

buy dell and you won't regret it. buy acer or asus, etc then expect to return it several times before you get one you can live with. even then it won't be perfect.

always found the knowledge on here to be lacking.

Monitors

read through there to do your research on quality control issues. you may get a good one but chances are you may also get a bad one.

As always, you will get people who are happy with a product, and people who are not happy.

The way you word that quote suggests that everyone will expect to return an Asus monitor due to poor quality, and will get perfect Dell monitor. That is untrue, as myself and someone else has already said. That is not lack of knowledge at all, that is just 2 people expressing their experiences with a monitor.

If you find the knowledge so lacking here, then why still post?

always found the knowledge on here to be lacking.

Monitors

read through there to do your research on quality control issues. you may get a good one but chances are you may also get a bad one.
As the knowledge here is supposedly so lacking please enlighten us and substantiate your claims.

As the knowledge here is supposedly so lacking please enlighten us and substantiate your claims.

the fact tons of people have had issues on a monitor specific sub forum. my link has multiple threads about such issues. a simple search on there will suffice.

Best Make of TN monitors?

second post of that thread reads

"The terrible quality control with these monitors strikes again"

referring to an acer product.

the fact tons of people have had issues on a monitor specific sub forum. my link has multiple threads about such issues. a simple search on there will suffice.

Best Make of TN monitors?

second post of that thread reads

"The terrible quality control with these monitors strikes again"

referring to an acer product.

And the third post says they had no problems with a Samsung monitor. But Samsung should be avoided because it’s not made by Dell?

And the third post says they had no problems with a Samsung monitor. But Samsung should be avoided because it’s not made by Dell?

It's mainly luck of the draw. But Dell seems to be the best when it comes to quality control.

Also a lot of people don't know how to look for flaws.

Anyone could buy a £60 monitor and say it looks amazing to them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom