Help me decide on a 50" Pioneer Kuro

imoto

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been searching the forum but cant seem to make up my mind which one these three will be the best buy! I will be getting Sky HD and at the moment I watch sky SD mostly and occasional PS3 gaming and BluRay via PS3.
Choices are:

1. PDP508XD - 720p (£1527)
2. PDPLX5080 - 1080p (£2629)
3. PDPLX508 - 1080p (£2917)

Not sure if PDPLX508 is worth the extra £300 for the Direct Colour filter 3+???

Please help!:rolleyes:

How good is your eyesight?

Personally, I'd go with the LX5080 if you can afford it - or wait till June/July for the LX5090

Don't think the extra filter is worth the money from comments around here - unless you watch a lot of tv in a bright room.

I'm in a very similar position as yourself, imoto. My thoughts are, if you have the money to sepnd (i.e. you can afford it), if you don't go for the best you'll regret it every time you switch the other set on.

Anyway, the PDPLX508 is able to be ISF calibrated (which many forum members reckon is definately worth the additional cost), whereas the 5080 does not have this function (I think).

Also, I'd perhaps wait and see. The 9th gen thread here in the plasma forum is rumouring the new Pioneers will be cheaper than the old 8th gen (i.e., the ones you are looking at).

Perhaps if you can wait 2 months to see the prices, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Go for the 508. I was glad I did & if you're half as pleased as I am then you'll be well chuffed :thumbsup:

Go for the 508. I was glad I did & if you're half as pleased as I am then you'll be well chuffed :thumbsup:

Is there a lot of difference in PQ between LX508 and LX5080?
Does the Direct Colour filter 3+ make a lot of improvement?

Thanks for your advise Bossk128 & arad85

I don't think think you'd be dissatisfied with the 508XD. It's a great set and will look stunning even from 10 feet. If the price of it represents the most you're willing to spend, you'll struggle to find anything better. However, if you've three grand burning a hole in your pocket, I'd definitely wait a couple of months for the 9th gen.

Where can you get the 508XD for £1,527?

Hi imoto. :)
I don't think there's much (or any) difference between the both,to be honest. :smashin:
All the best.

I'm in a very similar position as yourself, imoto. My thoughts are, if you have the money to sepnd (i.e. you can afford it), if you don't go for the best you'll regret it every time you switch the other set on.

Anyway, the PDPLX508 is able to be ISF calibrated (which many forum members reckon is definately worth the additional cost), whereas the 5080 does not have this function (I think).

Also, I'd perhaps wait and see. The 9th gen thread here in the plasma forum is rumouring the new Pioneers will be cheaper than the old 8th gen (i.e., the ones you are looking at).

Perhaps if you can wait 2 months to see the prices, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Imoto, if you are not in a hurry it might be worth waiting for the G9 line-up expected to arrive in June (for the models with terrestial built-in box, later for H models with satellite dito); prices quoted are:

* PDP-LX6090H 6 999€
* PDP-LX5090H 3 999€
* PDP-LX6090 6 799€
* PDP-LX5090 3 799€

Prices quoted from french site http://fr.cinenow.com/articles/8189...tion-presentation-nouvelle-gamme-plasma-video

I think it's worth the extra. The picture looks great whatever the background light levels & let's face it. If you're spending that kind of money on a plasma, then paying Pioneer prices for the speakers & stand, what difference does £300 make? You might as well have the best model there is... :D:cool::D

Where can you get the 508XD for £1,527?

digitaldirect.co.uk

Mr Creosote
Thanks for the info on G9 units. This has made me think it over again. Those prices are unbelievable!!

I heard Pioneer will be sourcing the panels from elsewhere - will it change from G9 or from next year? I hope they will be as good as G8 ones if not better. Are all those panels going to be 1080p?

digitaldirect.co.uk

Mr Creosote
Thanks for the info on G9 units. This has made me think it over again. Those prices are unbelievable!!

I heard Pioneer will be sourcing the panels from elsewhere - will it change from G9 or from next year? I hope they will be as good as G8 ones if not better. Are all those panels going to be 1080p?

I believe that the panels will be outsourced from Panasonic starting from next year with the 10G. This years 9G will be using Pioneer's own glass.

Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Oh I forgot, they will be 1080p plasmas.

Maybe it's just me being cynical but I find those prices quoted on the French website for 9G a bit optimistic. :rolleyes:

Maybe it's just me being cynical but I find those prices quoted on the French website for 9G a bit optimistic. :rolleyes:

why? they are 200 euro cheaper than the official prices for benelux for the 50 model.

1 or 2 weeks ago pioneerr held a demo of the 9g in france and the prices ware the same of the website

why? they are 200 euro cheaper than the official prices for benelux for the 50 model.

1 or 2 weeks ago pioneerr held a demo of the 9g in france and the prices ware the same of the website

It seems Pioneer has made a decision to cut prices with the introduction of the G9 crop. I've seen estimated prices in the quoted range from various more or less reliable sources so let's hope it's true :D. Street prices (incl. VAT) in each country is however everybody's guess.

imoto: I've also read that Pioneer engineers involved in the KURO project will be transferred to Panasonic's plasma unit so the G10s may be "Pio-sonic".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom