Help me decide on a 40 or 43 4k TV please :)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Mojoman0427, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Mojoman0427

Mojoman0427
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

First post here, so be gentle please!

I have been very much undecided on what 4K tv I should plump for out of the 2015 ranges.

I am restricted to 40 or 43 inch really, although I would prefer bigger is just isn't an option in my front room, where I will be practically sitting on top of it!

I think I have narrowed my search to two models - the Sony KD43X8305C and the LG 43UF770V

Now, I know that generally the Sony models are nearly always better, but looking at the price difference (£699 for the LG versus £849 for the Sony) I think the LG looks a bit nicer. Plus the Sony doesn't seem to have stellar write ups from what I can see. The lack of "Triluminous" display on the 830 also seems to be a bit of a downer.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I thought this was probably the best place to ask.

Input lag (or rather lack of!) is important to me, as I will be gaming quite a bit on it, and watching sport, Netflix 4k etc.

Are there also any models anyone thinks I should also be considering, away from these two?

Thanks in advance!

2. Mojoman0427

Mojoman0427
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, I guess my thread title is a bit misleading - I'm not trying to decide between sizes. More the model!

3. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My local Richer Sounds had both (and the Panasonic CX680) next to each other. In a nut shell, considering only image quality, the LG is a solid TV, but the Sony is nicer (to my eyes, and in my opinion). The in-built sound on the Sony is better, too (the LG struggled with harsh high-notes).

Ultimately, both should be good. :)

4. Mojoman0427

Mojoman0427
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ah, thanks for your reply :)

I hadn't considered the Panny actually, being slightly smaller, but I suppose 3 inches doesn't make much of a difference (bu dum tssshhh!). I will have a look at that one.

I was all decided on the LG, then thought I would go for the Sony until I read that the 830 isn't really a patch on the 850 (which I can't get because I just can't have a 55 inch screen!), with lots of software issues at the moment.

Grrrr it's exciting and annoying planning a new TV purchase!

5. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you put them next to each other, it's a reasonably noticable difference, but not as much as the difference between 43" and 48-49". In isolation, you might not notice. I would definitely say it's worth considering. :)

It depends what you're looking for, to be honest - even "lab" reviews are essentially someone opinion, which may or may not match your experience, so there's no substitute for looking yourself (e.g. I don't buy the whole "IPS panels have poor black levels - VA panels are inherrently better" argument - as a generalisation, I find shadow tones on VA panels can look artificially dark, and actually cause me eye strain). They had the X85 and X85 next to each other in Richer Sounds, and I couldn't tell the difference. They had a W80 next to the X83 in my local Curry's, and whilst the W80 was fantastic, the X83's image just had "something" about it.

As to software issues, I had an extended demo of the X83, which included watching 4K YouTube clips, and didn't notice any issues - maybe the last few updates have squished most of the issues?

Indeed! :)

6. Mojoman0427

Mojoman0427
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I am pretty much decided on the LG, looking at them side by side.

Appreciate your help, thanks :)

7. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No worries - the LG's I saw looked nice. Have fun :)

8. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,580
    I have to disagree with this. The best reviews (AVForums and HDTVTest) all use scientific measurement, with calibrated equipment, to assess several facets of a panel's performance. They do of course offer opinion on aspects like shadow detail and general picture quality but these aren't exactly subjective.

That being said, I will agree that there's no substitute for your own experience (and eyes). You're the one who'll be living with the TV so it could be as 'accurate' as is possible but if you don't like the way it looks, it'll be no good to you.
    A caveat to this of course is that stores typically have the displays set up and on show in less than ideal environments. So have a good play with the settings if possible and better still, take some known content with you and play it through the display.

Sounds like the OP's made up their mind so this could all be moot.

Paul

9. martinch

martinch
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What I was inferring (and I guess it wasn't clear) was that the interpretation of said measurements is subject to the reviewer's personal prejudices and bias, and thus their opinion.

Further, sometimes numbers cannot tell the full story, and failing to look beyond them can cause problems. For example (not TV-related, but it illustrates the point), Nikon make a 58mm f/1.4 lens, which often gets poor reviews - it's sharp enough, but not bitingly so, so lots of "lab-type" review sites ding it heavily for being less sharp than you'd expect a £1,200 lens to be. However, this is to miss the point - it's designed as a portrait lens (resolving every pore is not necessarily desirable), and has a "rendering" that other lenses don't.

Indeed. When I was looking at getting my TV, from reading the specs reviews, the Samsung JU7000 looked like the best option. However, when I actually looked at them, I found the Panasonic CX680 and Sony X830 gave what I found to be the "most natural" picture, and the Samsung the "worst" (it had a "hard" and "artificial" feel to the image, which I couldn't dial out). I took a colleague with me for a second opinion (on my first trip, so I was actually looking at the Samsung at that point), and they said the same (they also thought both the Panasonic and Sony looked better than their Samsung F8000). In contrast, I've seen one "lab-type" review that said the Sony X830 had weak contrast and "apalling image quality" as a result (which my colleague laughed at) - hence the comment.

Yup - they're often set up with everything set to 11, and under harsh lighting, which is unhelpful.

10. youngsyp

youngsyp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,580
    I have to disagree again. The numbers are there and there is no interpretation. The white balance either hits D65 with less than 3 delta errors or it doesn't. The colour gamut either hits the co-ordinates on the CIE chart with less than 3 delta errors or it doesn't. And gamma either hits the required target or it doesn't. The requirements are clear and if the panel doesn't meet them, the result charts and figures are clear too.
    What I will say is recently I've noticed the Pro's and Con's section (on here), along with overall conclusion don't necessarily tie up with the measured results. I'll leave it at that.

This is true of course. But if the panel hits the required targets for measurable PQ, it's practically a given the resulting images it produces will be good too.
    I've been reading these reviews and calibrating my own and friends/ families panels for 10 years or so and I don't think I've ever seen a panel that hits the numbers displaying a less than desirable image.

And this is where subjective comes in. What one person finds natural another could find over saturated, under saturated and so on as you've illustrated.

Perspective plays a big part too. If a person is used to viewing an 'inaccurate' image, what they find as natural is likely to be off what is truly natural (as in accurate). And when they viewed an accurate image, again, they think it's over saturated or under saturated and so on. I think it's fair to say that the most common facet of a correctly set up display that's noticed is in the whites. Those not used to seeing D65 white perceive it to look yellowish as typically the white's they've been used to looking at have too much blue or are 'colder'. When the brain adjusts though, they'll see the opposite and notice just how blue the white they were viewing was.

Shops typically have 'Shop' mode enabled which is essentially dynamic mode and then some. So as you said, most settings including the picture 'enhancements' are wound right up. They always look hideous.

Ultimately it's very difficult to decide on a TV these days as there's almost too much information available but not enough scope for you to demo the displays in a fair test environment. What I usually do is go on the results of good reviews and then check owners forums for any issues that real users have seen. That, the lack of content and a couple of other reasons are why I've not bought a 4K TV yet.
    I also have the luxury of being able to calibrate any panel I buy myself so I know I can get the best out of it in my environment.

Paul

11. fluxedman

fluxedman
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps its just better to check the TV sets in store, find the one you prefer best and purchase it from amazon or John lewis so that way if its not to your liking when at your home you can return it for a full refund :)